erik6bd

Pizza on the komodo kamado for the first time

52 minutes ago, Requis said:

I was about to say the same thing Zoo you cant be that cheap or you wouldn't have one of these bad boys :) 

Out of curiosity  is 750 degrees the optimum pizza making tempature? 

Definitely not. There is no such thing as the optimum pizza temperature. Every dough recipe will have it's own optimum temperature based on the ingredients it uses. 

I will say the majority of the dough recipes are formulated to cook in the 450*-500* range and would probably work a little higher or lower. If you take dough formulated for 450* and cook it at 750* you'll end up with a burnt mess. Cooking pizza in the 750*-900* range requires special dough and you better be ready. I've done the 900* 60 second pizzas. You put it in and pull it out. At that temperature 15 seconds is the difference between done and burnt. 

Edited by ckreef

I was about to say the same thing Zoo you cant be that cheap or you wouldn't have one of these bad boys  
Out of curiosity  is 750 degrees the optimum pizza making tempature? 

It was more like 675 after opening to put the pizza in. Was much better then 550.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Great pizza cook. Looked very tasty. Your food posts have been great.

Can I ask how best to get 550 quickly. I had no problems doing it for my burn in. Next day I did pizzas but couldn't get past 300. I only put three quarter of load of charcoal. Lit up a grape fruit size of charcoal. Opened the vents and damper but just couldn't get past 300. I waited for a hour and then put in the baking stone. Temp dropped and then eventually stabilised at 250 even though I had the vents fully open, guru plug out and damper open. Let it heat soak for another 45 mins. I was running out of time and kids were hungry. How long do you heat soak for?

I wonder if the three quarter load of charcoal was the issue. For the burn in I used leftover charcoal was was all small pieces. For the pizza cook, I used large pieces of lump.

Pizza still turned out good but took a while. Wifey and kids liked them anyway. The third pizza I put on the main grate to crisp up the base. I didn't have much heat to play with. It was down to 150 by the time I got to the third pizza.

Sorry for the long post.

• Like 1

Great pizza cook. Looked very tasty. Your food posts have been great.

Can I ask how best to get 550 quickly. I had no problems doing it for my burn in. Next day I did pizzas but couldn't get past 300. I only put three quarter of load of charcoal. Lit up a grape fruit size of charcoal. Opened the vents and damper but just couldn't get past 300. I waited for a hour and then put in the baking stone. Temp dropped and then eventually stabilised at 250 even though I had the vents fully open, guru plug out and damper open. Let it heat soak for another 45 mins. I was running out of time and kids were hungry. How long do you heat soak for?

I wonder if the three quarter load of charcoal was the issue. For the burn in I used leftover charcoal was was all small pieces. For the pizza cook, I used large pieces of lump.

Pizza still turned out good but took a while. Wifey and kids liked them anyway. The third pizza I put on the main grate to crisp up the base. I didn't have much heat to play with. It was down to 150 by the time I got to the third pizza.

Sorry for the long post.

Fill the basket with lump I use 3 starter cubes like a triangle one up top in the middle then one lower left and lower right trick it leave the lid open for at least 20mins with bottom vents fully open. Put your stone In and it should rise really fast.

Just to add to erik's post. Instead of leaving the lid open shut the lid tight and open up the top draft wide open and that will create a nice draft that should get that fire going.

So you are saying to put the starters in then close the lid right then? I've tried that and takes much longer to get up to temp.

4 hours ago, erik6bd said:

So you are saying to put the starters in then close the lid right then? I've tried that and takes much longer to get up to temp.

That's how I do it. I pull the bottom vent door out a bit and spin the top 3 or 4 turns. I light the starters and make sure there are pieces of lump around then that will catch, then close and latch the lid. I go back inside to do whatever and check back in about 10 minutes (most of the time, I set a timer so I don't forget). 

When I go back out, if it's hot enough, I'll push in the bottom vent and set the dial and top vent. If it's not hot enough, I'll give it more time. Might even pull the guru port plug.

I've never timed one vs. the other, but to me, it 'feels' like the lid closed gets the grill hot faster. 

That's how I do it. I pull the bottom vent door out a bit and spin the top 3 or 4 turns. I light the starters and make sure there are pieces of lump around then that will catch, then close and latch the lid. I go back inside to do whatever and check back in about 10 minutes (most of the time, I set a timer so I don't forget). 
When I go back out, if it's hot enough, I'll push in the bottom vent and set the dial and top vent. If it's not hot enough, I'll give it more time. Might even pull the guru port plug.
I've never timed one vs. the other, but to me, it 'feels' like the lid closed gets the grill hot faster. 

I'll have to try it tomorrow. I usually light it with the bottom vent open leave to top open while I go inside and wash my hands then come back close the lid and it doesn't take long after that so by the time I take the food right out it's usually around 350 by then with 3 turns on the top then I adjust where I want it an go from there.

• Like 1

Second MacKenzie on this one. Better to get the fire started, use a hairdryer (or equivalent) to make sure it's started well. Then, close the lid and spin the top vent open wide, with the bottom vent fully open, as well. I don't pull the bottom vent door out anymore. Too easy to get dust/charcoal bits in there and not be able to close it down completely at the end of cooks (YMMV). If I need to "turbo" the process, I'll pull the guru port plug. 

Erik, it sounds like you just ran out of fuel. Next time make sure that you fully load the basket, as these very high heat cooks run through some charcoal. Especially if you're doing a pizza and you need to heat soak the KK and pizza stone for at least an hour before you start cooking. Fully heat soaked, you will have almost no rebound effect between pizzas and can cook several in a row without worrying about under cooking the crusts before the toppings are done. 

Second MacKenzie on this one. Better to get the fire started, use a hairdryer (or equivalent) to make sure it's started well. Then, close the lid and spin the top vent open wide, with the bottom vent fully open, as well. I don't pull the bottom vent door out anymore. Too easy to get dust/charcoal bits in there and not be able to close it down completely at the end of cooks (YMMV). If I need to "turbo" the process, I'll pull the guru port plug. 
Erik, it sounds like you just ran out of fuel. Next time make sure that you fully load the basket, as these very high heat cooks run through some charcoal. Especially if you're doing a pizza and you need to heat soak the KK and pizza stone for at least an hour before you start cooking. Fully heat soaked, you will have almost no rebound effect between pizzas and can cook several in a row without worrying about under cooking the crusts before the toppings are done. 

Not me someone else