cschaaf

Grilling with mayonaise

Saw this article the other day and decided to try it tonight

http://www.latimes.com/food/dailydish/la-fo-grilling-with-mayonnaise-recipes-20170610-htmlstory.html

I had some pork tenderloins that I tied together and wanted to rotisserie on my KK. Before I loaded the meat in the rotisserie basket, I rubbed a very thin layer of mayo on the basket rods with my fingers. I probably used 1/4 to 1/2 of a teaspoon. Just enough to coat the bars.

It worked great! The pork slipped right out of the basket when I was done and the bars, where the pork was, looked cleaner than when I started lol

• Like 1

Thanks. It was in our local paper, too. I went looking for an online version to post here, so glad that you found one. I'd have said, so what's the big deal, until I read that Meathead had tried it and thought it was a good technique. Looking to try it on my next big hunk of meat instead of my usual mustard rub. Not quite ready to test it out first on a nice steak, but maybe after I've done a couple of other cooks using it first. Thinking that shrimp would be a good test case to see how moist it keeps them while getting some nice crust on the exterior. 

I hear ya, MacKenzie. I typically use mayo on my grilled cheese sandwiches to help them brown and get crispy. It works great. I think it was a Martha Stewart tip where I first saw it. So, given that I know it works on that, I'm willing to give it a try on meat. 

• Like 1

So, last night's cook was my 1st attempt at mayo instead of mustard as my base. Spun some lovely Berkshire bone in chops with an ear of corn.

The setup - Sriracha stix (on the right) inserted into the chops, light slather of mayo on the chops - one gets the IPA rub and the other gets the Slap Yo Daddy. 

001.thumb.jpg.d762fbc531f118560d0400a0d14ce51e.jpg

Into the roti basket (1st cook with it), along with the ear of corn.

002.thumb.jpg.f495c9b6878a372291876babb548583d.jpg

Onto the KK, direct @ 350F with a big chunk of peach wood.

003.thumb.jpg.d700e35828d353da2bf8116333a094fa.jpg

An hour later.

005.thumb.jpg.df043529d08e483e27a21e7d41e67f1f.jpg

Plated up with some air fryer frozen onion rings (1st cook of those, too! Nice and crispy, but this particular brand didn't have a ton of onion inside.)

006.thumb.jpg.78440dd92e7a0a01401b1dadc9d60180.jpg

• Like 6

Another mayo experiment tonight. This time - surf & turf. Mayo slather on both the shrimp and the steak to hold the rubs. Also, did another air fryer experiment - tonight was frozen french fries. I liked them much better than last night's onion rings. The steak had Sriracha stix inserted, with the outside rubs of Oakridge Carne Costa with some Espresso Salt, served on top of sauteed mushrooms with a balsamic glaze. Lazy tonight, only a plated picture.

20170701_175210.thumb.jpg.5ec0b55bf73be8ddaf46978ea8947888.jpg

• Like 6

OK, last of the mayo experiment cooks. Yesterday was a baby pork butt (2.75 lbs), on the OctoForks, slathered with mayo and the latest "test rub" from Lane's. Also, another experiment with the MEATER probe. This time I made sure that it was sticking out parallel to the rotation near the centerline (that's it in the 1st pic sticking out on the left near the shaft.) In past rotisserie cooks, I stuck it in the end of the meat and the drippings ran down and coated the cooking temperature sensor, causing it to give really goofy readings. Behaved much better this time. Only a couple of pics on the grill this time. KK was at 350F, indirect, with the smoker pot of hickory and apple wood. Took the pork off at 190F IT. Didn't pull, but sliced up really nice. 

20170702_181112.thumb.jpg.1ee9425c6174cf5f59b57e1932c5a2c1.jpg

20170702_181119.thumb.jpg.4b7086a27187e2eba309756d1687ed8f.jpg

Since I was doing this OctoForks cook, I didn't have a way to roast my ear of corn, so I tried doing it sous vide - 183F for 45 minutes, with lots of butter, fresh tarragon (insanely good on corn), and some purple crack in the bag. Came out perfect!!! 

@Jon B. - notice the CharBroil pan. Came in very handy for doing indirect under the rotisserie. Couldn't put my lower grate in with the forks, as it interferes with the rotation. Thanks, buddy!!! :occasion5:

Edited by tony b
  • Like 2