erik6bd

Knives and cutting boards over load

Only 3 cutting boards, I think you're slacking. 

I'm currently at 5 and want another one. 

Nope there's more just not out in the kitchen..... these are my favorites I use the custom made mesquite with the juice grove for my meats I use the Michigan maple for just about everything else and the boos walnut for pizzas and calzones

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 2

butcherblock.thumb.jpg.8762aa7a6c20c0cbde961b7f2e9748b3.jpg

Where I grew up, people would put plastic seat covers on their cars, to protect the resale value. They would use coasters on their furniture. They would outfit their kitchens with fancy countertops that were useless as work surfaces, then buy these things called ... cutting boards. Huh? Why couldn't people let the original object serve its natural purpose?

In my thirties I decided I wanted to be a better cook, so I took dozens of lessons with a French chef in NYC. He had a butcher block for his countertop. I'm not sure he owned a cutting board.

Now, we have two butcher block countertops in California, and one in New York. Shown is my savory station in California (Laurie has a similar baking station). The overhang is useful for anything that clamps (pasta maker, meat grinder). A steam table insert slides in to the right (shown), for collecting food scraps for our compost pile. Later, I clean this countertop with water (bit of soap, then rinse) and the bench scraper, scraping into the now-empty steam table insert. (In New York, I designed my kitchen so I could scrape directly into an open dishwasher, about to run.)

Let's be honest about what makes a good cook. Wanting to be a good cook is crucial, as is lots of practice. Few people ever cook better than their ability to taste, a hard limit we can do little about. However, dexterity is key. Transforming a mess of raw ingredients into a meal is a computational problem, an engineering problem, bottlenecked by the efficiency with which one can process ingredients. I find it agonizing to watch someone prep food with a small knife, because they're afraid of bigger knives. I find it agonizing to watch someone try to chop ingredients on a small cutting board. They never get a full motion going, they're always pulling their punches so food doesn't go flying off the board. It's like they're trying to dance in a gym locker. Then they have to clear the board for the next item, wasting time moving ingredients and dirtying more containers to hold them.

I feel like I'm watching someone cut their lawn with a pair of scissors.

Having working countertops is radically transformative to one's cooking.

(I do love those three cutting boards. I particularly covet that massive round block, the same lust that lead me to wanting a house made of butcher block. Shown above is our compromise.)

Edited by Syzygies
  • Like 3

Back in the day, I worked in a meat department of a grocery store and cleaning the butcher block was one of my duties at the end of the day. This thing was huge and weighed several hundred pounds and well worn on top from use over the years. Standard procedure was rinse with a garden hose, dump a lot of kosher salt on the top, and brush vigorously with a wire brush. After rinsing again, that was pretty much it.

I guess the butcher block counter tops are a little industrial for most people but I like them and would love to have one.

• Like 2

[mention=2960]erik6bd[/mention] - and how do you like sleeping with the dog?    I understand that 3 cutting boards is just the beginning.  Like I always say, "Welcome to The Addiction."

Keep up the good fight!

She could care less what I buy as long as it's cooked on the KK the girls are happy. Im pretty sure it was the point she lifted the Michigan Maple block at 87 pounds and turned to me and asked me how many I needed.

The rules are I cook she cleans been that way from day 1 over 10 years ago and yes I we sleep with the dogs we have 3 English Bulldogs and they are always in the bed with us. Smh 🤦‍♂️

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 5