twharton

I Can't Stop - Cook #4 - Starting Dec 4

After I put the sirloin roast on I prepped this...

PC030031.jpg

PC030029.jpg

I opened it up and rubbed with a porkchop inspired rub...brown sugar, salt, then I ravage the spice cabinet. Not so much heat this time and more herbs. Here's what they looked like after the rub.

PC030032.jpg

And then I sent them off to sleep for a day.

PC030036.jpg

Check back in a coulpe of days and we'll see what happens. After this one I think Gigantor is broken in enough to sear some steaks. I can't wait to make my get my big bad bitch hot!

Done @ 3pm - 20 Hours (MANY PHOTOS) - Take Off

Finished @ 3 pm, Polder Thermometer reads internal temp of 211. KK Temp of 230. Gigantor the jewel stayed beteween 220 - 230 for over 20 hours. My top vent gasket did delminate and is now flopping but just tell me what type of adhesive to use and all will be fine.

Here's what they looked like and literally were falling apart they were so tender. I am so jazzed right now! :smt029

PC050002.jpg

This is how much lump was left. I estimate about 1/3 of a bag. It was filled level with the basket handles when I began.

PC050004.jpg

After my butts were removed I kicked out the jams so to speak (door off, top open) to burn the fat off the grill and within six minutes the temp spiked. Yes that's fire licking through. Notice my gasket came loose. What adhesive to use? Duct tape?:smt043

PC050005.jpg

Six minutes later this is thermometer reading after one complete REVOLUTION AROUND THE DIAL!!!! so I guess that's 1100 +. Whatever but hot as HELL! :smt074

PC050007.jpg

So I wrapped them up and let em nap for an hour and a half.......

.....Then I woke em Up!

Here's half of my butt :lol:

PC050008.jpg

PC050009.jpg

PC050010.jpg

Hey she's pinching my butt! Daddy Likes!

PC050013.jpg

Here's the other half of my but. Look how tender it is literally falling apart!

PC050015.jpg

PC050017.jpg

PC050019.jpg

PC050020.jpg

And don't forget those two shoulder bones each weighing about 1 lb. Everybody's happy under my roof tonight.

PC050006.jpg

That fat puppy is my next cook.... :supz:

Man, its only a 7-8 hour drive from my house to yours...

The next time you post pics of something looking that good, with 9 hours to go, I am jumping in the Jeep and heading your way! :D

I spent a couple weeks on P-cola beach In Sept, doing some work for the Navy folks at Corry Station. Those pics looked better than anything I found in the local restaurants!

How not to clean your grill..

After my butts were removed I kicked out the jams so to speak (door off, top open) to burn the fat off the grill and within six minutes the temp spiked. Yes that's fire licking through. Notice my gasket came loose. What adhesive to use? Duct tape?:smt043

PC050005.jpg

Six minutes later this is thermometer reading after one complete REVOLUTION AROUND THE DIAL!!!!

PC050007.jpg

so I guess that's 1100 +. Whatever but hot as HELL! :smt074

PLEASE DO NOT DO THIS... :shock::shock:

Especially during the first few "break-in cooks"...

Correction.. I'd strongly suggest NEVER letting a full bowl go like this.. There are better ways to clean your grill..

Remember that 1,100º in the top might translate to 1,800 down at the charcoal bowl.. I'm told quality charcoal can hit 2,500ºf.

Although the bulk of the moisture is removed from the body, the insulating layer is purposely wet with water before the thin set and tiles are applied to create a better bond. Some of this is heated off before grouting but there will always be some moisture that needs to be eliminated. This is best done slowly.. Or at least slower than our TW just did.. I guess this is a testimate to the durability of my current Komodos..

:D:D:D:D

If you want to sear at high temps, please get one of the upper grills and invert it and set it down on the charcoal bowl.. The heat inches above the raging coals is intense.. Never tried to measure it but 15-30 seconds is all it takes..

I can't imagine that any temp over 800º is really necessary or safe to be reaching down into.. Short welding or garden gloves do not give adequate protection at these temps..

I switched from having the gasket on the lower side of the top for cosmetic reasons.. I'm guessing that the 1,100º and the flames were more than the high temp silicone gasket adhesive could handle..

Maybe gotta move it back down..

But with all that said, Hats off to a beautiful cook.. Great job, Great looking food.. And of course thank you for the Kudos and kind words..

:wink::wink:

Wow...

TW - nice job... I'm dying for some porkroast over here... wife's got us eating vegetarian for a couple weeks and it's killing me. First thing I'm doing when this "fast" is over is roasting up a coupla butts like those...

And another thing... you know the part about cranking the draft wide open and letting the temp go crazy? I did that once.... now, I have a completely different beast in my backyard... but when I did that to my cooker it burned away the net-backing from the tiles and it wasn't soon after that they started to drop off.

I'm sure that won't happen on a komodo... but it's still probably not a nice thing to do to your grill. ;-)

Sweet roasts, though. Dang, I'm starving.

Hey Deej - what's wrong with the ol' smokey joe? :D

Re: Wow...

Hey Deej - what's wrong with the ol' smokey joe? :D

He melted it yesterday...opened it wide open for a few hours and it peaked at about 210 degrees and now it's a pile a molten scrap metal :shock:

That's OK, he'll take it down to his la-bore-a-tory and make a computer or something out of it. :roll:

NEVER DO THIS....

PLEASE DO NOT DO THIS...

Correction.. I'd strongly suggest NEVER letting a full bowl go like this.

Mea Culpa Dennis, Mea Cupla:smt022 I'm sorry!

I had no intention of doing that high temp and it had been between 220 - 350 degrees for 6 days straight, non-stop, 144 hours :smt022

But...the gasket came off before my mistake. It was at around hour 118-120, I closed the dome completely for around 30 minutes to drop the temp from 350-225 and when I loosened it the gasket loosened too. It was just flopping around during the 20 hour butt cook so the high temp had nothing to do with it.

Also it was not a "full bowl". That photo above shows about 1/4 bag left..I'd estimate 1/2 full bowl FWIW.

I pledge allegiance to Gigantor,

Never to cross that 800 line again.

Re: NEVER DO THIS....

PLEASE DO NOT DO THIS...

Correction.. I'd strongly suggest NEVER letting a full bowl go like this.

Mea Culpa Dennis, Mea Cupla:smt022 I'm sorry!

I had no intention of doing that high temp and it had been between 220 - 350 degrees for 6 days straight, non-stop, 144 hours :smt022

But...the gasket came off before my mistake. It was at around hour 118-120, I closed the dome completely for around 30 minutes to drop the temp from 350-225 and when I loosened it the gasket loosened too. It was just flopping around during the 20 hour butt cook so the high temp had nothing to do with it.

Also it was not a "full bowl". That photo above shows about 1/4 bag left..I'd estimate 1/2 full bowl FWIW.

I pledge allegiance to Gigantor,

Never to cross that 800 line again.

Hehehe, that is funny.

Maybe tightening the top damper and then opening it back up while hot ain't so good an idea either? This sounds like another item I should add in the KK411 Things Not To Do list! Yup, with all y'alls trials and errors, I am gonna breeze into mine when I get it - hehehe - thanks!

But I am still mad with you for posting those great pictures of yummy BBQ! Thought the wife is at least speaking again - sometimes though, the reverse can be a blessing - hehe - shh, I did not say that - hehe :twisted: !

-=Jasen=-

But I am still mad with you....

Thanks for all the complements to all and if you're still mad guess where I am for the next two nights!

Memphis,TN. HQ for auto zone so after I go pick up some high temp silicone I'm off to Charlie Vergos Rendezvous for some.....

2SLAB-2.jpg

You have heard of it haven't you?

:butthead::butthead::butthead::butthead::butthead::butthead::butthead::butthead::butthead::butthead::butthead::butthead:

Re: But I am still mad with you....

Thanks for all the complements to all and if you're still mad guess where I am for the next two nights!

Memphis,TN. HQ for auto zone so after I go pick up some high temp silicone I'm off to Charlie Vergos Rendezvous for some.....

2SLAB-2.jpg

You have heard of it haven't you?

:butthead::butthead::butthead::butthead::butthead::butthead::butthead::butthead::butthead::butthead::butthead::butthead:

Yes, ya butt! Damnit, damnit, damnit! Never had any, but the food network did a show that had that place on it. At least get me a doggie bag! I believe their ribs were directly cooked over open coals in kinda a oven looking pit (they open a door in the wall which had a coal pit and racks above it).

-=Jasen=-