MacKenzie

Farm Fresh Eggs

55 minutes ago, tangles163 said:

Nice. I used to have Araucanas which laid green/blue eggs

Yes, a green/blue egg is certainly an Araucana egg. They were popularized in Berkeley by e.g. Cafe Fanny (now-closed part of Chez Panisse diaspora), and they fetch the best price in New York City's Union Square farmers market. Mostly, for the novelty. Many factors make big differences in yolk quality, but shell color (or breed, for that matter) isn't so significant. More relevant, do the chickens get to eat bugs? The best chicken coop setup keeps moving the coop across a grass field also used by grazing animals, as described e.g. by Michael Pollan.

Araucana chickens aren't that popular in home coops, because they don't have the greatest temperament, and they're flyers: Unless you clip their wings, no fence will hold them.

There are chickens that lay deep chocolate brown eggs, a far rarer sight. I'd look for those if I were raising chickens. Instead, I take care of neighbor coops.

Edited by Syzygies
  • Like 2

Yes, a green/blue egg is certainly an Araucana egg. They were popularized in Berkeley by e.g. Cafe Fanny (now-closed part of Chez Panisse diaspora), and they fetch the best price in New York City's Union Square farmers market. Mostly, for the novelty. Many factors make big differences in yolk quality, but shell color (or breed, for that matter) isn't so significant. More relevant, do the chickens get to eat bugs? The best chicken coop setup keeps moving the coop across a grass field also used by grazing animals, as described e.g. by Michael Pollan.
Araucana chickens aren't that popular in home coops, because they don't have the greatest temperament, and they're flyers: Unless you clip their wings, no fence will hold them.
There are chickens that lay deep chocolate brown eggs, a far rarer sight. I'd look for those if I were raising chickens. Instead, I take care of neighbor coops.

Yes, I remember now. My Acrunanas used to perch on the neighbouring fence. I thought I lost her until I saw her perched outside the coop. Had to clip her wings. I had Australopes which were good chooks. I mainly have standard hybrids now... the chooks help with weeding the vege patch. They basically till it for me when I rotate the crops. They also take care of the food scraps.

I think someone posted about what to do with the ashes from the cooks. Chooks love bathing in the ashes. Helps with keeping the bugs away from them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 2