jgkite

Hello from NC!

Hello everyone! I've been researching smokers and grills for weeks and it seems nothing comes close to the build quality and community around the Komodo Kamado. So here I am! A 23" Ultimate (Harvest Gold Pebble) is on its way along with rib rack, basket splitter, coffee wood charcoal, and grate grabbers. It will be our first kamado grill (and first that's charcoal or wood fueled!). We haven't had a grill since we moved 5 years ago and I'm excited to get back to cooking outdoors. I'm nervous to get started with charcoal but I think I've found the right place to ask questions when I have them. :)

My first pre-delivery question: where we live, when it rains, it pours. Once we get it set up outside, how urgently should we invest in a Sunbrella cover? Any way to get a specific color (to match our Sunbrella umbrella)?

Oh, and how do I get added to the owners group?

Thanks!

Jamie

Edited by jgkite
  • Like 1

Hello Jamie welcome to the forum. You are going to love your New KK. I don't think the rain will hurt it, I've seen pictures of guys cooking with 4 or 5 inches of snow on them. But I'm sure others will chime in and give more information. Looking forward to unpacking photos and first cook. Happy 4th  and once again welcome

• Like 1

Welcome to the kk family a great color you picked out .. you are going to absolutely love cooking on it ..on the sunbrella cover i would get one now not that the rain will hurt it but protecting your investment is the way i look at it .. after every cook or when not in use and when its cool enough to put on the cover goes on anyway that is just how i do it

• Like 1

Welcome, I love the color you picked. Plenty of help  here when you have questions.

I purchased the sunbrella cover to help out in the winter especially. It survived many a rainstorms though while I was waiting for it to arrive. They are built to last forever.

• Like 1

Jamie - welcome to the KK Family!  You and your whole family are in for a real treat.  

As  far as the cover, I have both my KKs covered with the Sunbrella cover.  I live in Oklahoma and I was mildly concerned with the weather out here, mostly snow, ice, sleet, etc.  Rain won't be much of a problem, or at least it isn't out here in OK.  My advice is to get the covers.  They are very well made and don't fade in the brutal Oklahoma Summer sun.  

Talk with Dennis and get his help in choosing the color of your cover.  He's really helpful.  He'll also help you in getting added to the owners' group. 

Again, welcome to The Family.

• Like 1

Welcome aboard Jamie. You're going to love your KK...ease of use combined with good looks. Can't be beat.

I bought a Weber cover to hold me over till I have my outdoor kitchen finished. I call it KK camouflage.

• Like 1

Welcome! You are going to be amazed at what you can do on this grill/smoker! 

I've always had a cover on mine, but I live in Iowa, where the winters are particularly harsh compared to NC. Don't fret rain - it's tile, just like in your bathroom. But, there's the sun factor. If your KK is going to be in the sun most of the day, then consider a cover to protect against UV and sun fade. Cheap insurance. 

• Like 2

Jamie

Congrats on your KK choice....all questions are good and answers are plentiful and mostly helpful

As for a cover, while an excellent idea not time critical..enjoy your cooker first.. Dennis has the answers and many on the forum have great ideas

Obanker...from the Outer Banks

• Like 1

Welcome to the group.  If it's not too late for your order, add the coco char.  You will not regret it.  It takes bbqing and smoking to a different level.  The coffee char is great but I use a mix of coffee and coco char to smoke everything these days. 

The KK is a lot of fun where even lowly hotdogs are elevated to fine dining!

2 hours ago, Homepro01 said:

Welcome to the group.  If it's not too late for your order, add the coco char.  You will not regret it.  It takes bbqing and smoking to a different level.  The coffee char is great but I use a mix of coffee and coco char to smoke everything these days. 

The KK is a lot of fun where even lowly hotdogs are elevated to fine dining!

Thanks for the tip! I'll try to get some in the future, but the smaller quantity was sold out for my order (and it's on the truck!) I don't have a place to store a whole pallet... I wonder if I can find something locally...

I live in Spokane with rain, snow, and hot sun. I keep the teak side tables in the garage unless I am cooking. I use the cooker year round but I cover with sunbrella during heavy rain or snow, mostly to keep water out of the thermometer. So far after 2 years, I see no weather damage.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 3