Wobster

19" Hi-Cap Tall vs 23"

I am looking at getting one of these and while I am leaning towards a 23" the price on the closeout sale for the  19"  Hi-Cap is almost irresistible! I know it says it is 20% smaller, but how much smaller is it functionally...how many racks of ribs would each do? Could I do a whole brisket 13-15lbs on it? Would the 19" do a 20 lb turkey? I am really torn! 

If the 23" is a real consideration then there's no question. Get the 23". I have a 23" and a 19" tabletop, and there's no comparison. If the 19 was my only grill, I would be perfectly happy with it, it's completely capable, but with the 23 in the picture, huge difference. A big brisket, long racks of ribs and such are tight on the 19, but with a rack, I can easily do 8 racks at once on the 23. I've done 18lb briskets no problem.

Lastly, I personally think the 23 is the best looking one of the bunch too.

Regardless of what you get, any kk is far better than anything else you could ever cook on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 2

If you plan on entertaining with brisket or ribs on a moderately regular basis-23. I have that and have only on one occasion wished I had the 22 hi cap.( trying to fit a pan on the upper rack). However, if I had gone with the 22 I know that I would have missed the extra inch horizontally several times already. 

But it I like having family and friends over on a semi regular basis for smallish gatherings

• Like 1

Personally I think the more grilling space you have the better, better to have too much than not enough. As Rob said, you will love whichever you get. The food simply tastes much better cooked on a KK. I wonder if what happened to a lot of us that once you get one you find a real need to get the second one. If there is the slightest possibility that might happen then the sale option on the 19 might be the one to start the ball rolling. I never thought I'd get a second one, couldn't imagine it, but I did. :) It could be that after getting the 19 high top and tasting the food then expanding what and how often and for how many you want to cook that you'd go for the 32 inch down the road. BT, I do like that high top options, it allows you to get the pizzas up into the dome, and bread, etc. 

• Like 1

@Wobster - it's always better to have the size and use it occasionally than to need it and can't get it.  Like @5698k, I have a 19" and love it.  I also have the 32" KK BB and love it as well.  The 19 is an incredible cooker.  It does buttseasily.  But if you ever want to do a large cook, a big brisket, 5-10 racks of ribs, 2-3 chickens, etc. then the 19 simply won't get the job done.  You'll really appreciate and use the extra space of the 23.  It's allows you to do more and different types of cooks.  That's the 23's advantage over the 19.  No matter which way you decide, you're in for the best tasting food you and your family will ever eat.  

• Like 1

@Wobster - I will say this and then let you contemplate in peace ... I've never met anyone who regretted going big, but I've met numerous folks who regretted getting a smaller cooker and wished they had  gone large.  You'll find that your KK is a replacement for your kitchen oven.  Ever hear anyone wish for a smaller oven in a kitchen?   I didn't think so.

Be well!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wobster said:

Does the 23 come with a hi cap option? I don't see it listed...that might be the ultimate for me. 

no it dont come in hi cap and like was said not yet .. i have a 23 and while the hi cap is nice i dont find any need for it for me anyway the 23 certainly fills all my needs ... i know you will be happy what ever you choose but you cant go wrong with going bigger good luck on you choice

• Like 1

The High Capacity lid design gives a tad more clearance above the handles on the upper grate.. This is only relevant when cooking on the upper grate.  You can do a market turkey on the upper on a 23"  Lid might touch the birds if you put two side by side up there..   I think the 23" lid is beautiful and will never make a 23" Hi-Cap..  Nobody ever complained about the capacity of the upper grate or thought it was too low.. I came up with the hi-cap idea when designing the 32" because I believed it might be used commercially and the extra volume could be handy.. I then upgraded the 19 and 16 to hi-cap because they are small and could also use the additional volume.  The 21 in the works will sport a lid which is a little bit of both..

Best to measure out 19w and 17 front to back and 23w and 21 front to back on a table to "see" their size.

• Like 2

I have a 23" and the old 19.5".

Use the 19.5 when its just the wife and I

The 23 is brought into service when there is a holiday or party

Recently I did four 8 pound shoulders on the 23 at the same time, the 19.5" would not have handled that.

i used the 19.5 to prepare appetizers while the shoulders cooked on the 23.

Go for the 23", you'l never regret it.

• Like 2

On 7/13/2017 at 11:22 AM, CeramicChef said:

@Wobster - I will say this and then let you contemplate in peace ... I've never met anyone who regretted going big, but I've met numerous folks who regretted getting a smaller cooker and wished they had  gone large.  You'll find that your KK is a replacement for your kitchen oven.  Ever hear anyone wish for a smaller oven in a kitchen?   I didn't think so.

Be well!

We have 3 ovens so point taken! 

• Like 1