ckreef

Orondo Ruby Reef Jam

Orondo Ruby Cherries? - that's a new one to me so I did a little research. 

In 2001 a Rainer Cherry farmer from Orondo Washington noticed a strange cherry tree in the middle of his Rainer orchard. He figured it was a natural hybrid cross pollination of Bing and Rainer Cherries. It produced fruit earlier in the year,  was bigger, slightly sweeter, redder, and more firm then his Rainer Cherries. He sent samples off to a fruit tree laboratory and discovered that it was not a hybrid rather a whole new species that mother nature had given him. In 2008 he was awarded a patent for his new cherries and the process of grafting, growing and harvesting  Orondo Cherries began. His patent doesn't expire until 2028 so for now it's a very limited crop with availability only for a couple of weeks at the beginning of July, if your lucky enough to find them. 

I managed to get hold of a few boxes so I decided to make a batch of Reef Jam. I almost forgot to heat up my seal lids so I had to scramble in the middle of the cook process. During all that I forgot to take a picture of the jam cooking. Going to make some cherry pork chops for dinner tomorrow night. 

OJa.thumb.jpg.0290b8fd818ae10d5e35efc35226abe6.jpg

OJb.thumb.jpg.c92e952380e6c8e3e14ec3c67341c2d6.jpg

OJc.thumb.jpg.5c2aae378102c1632f06941f898440c7.jpg

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, MacKenzie said:

I sure hope that is the cherry jam you are sending us this year in addition to your usual peach jam. :) 

I'm not 100% sure about this batch. When I pulled the jars out of the processing bath they looked a little grainy. After sitting for a while they look good. I'll know tomorrow night. I've been making jams for years now and I've only had one grainy batch in the past. Fingers crossed on this one cause cherries are a bigger pain in the rear than peaches. 

Anyway I did Google search causes for grainy jam. I think I'll alter my technique a little next time to assure this never happens again. 

7 minutes ago, CeramicChef said:

@ckreef - if this jam is half as good as your peach jam, the world is in for a treat.

Very interesting story about the origin of theses cherries.  Thanks for the info!

I took a sneak preview of the taste. It was awesome, we'll have to see about the texture. Even if it's a bit grainy I'll still be able to use it for cooking. 

I too thought it was an interesting back story. 

I imagine cherries are like apples. Only 1 in 80,000 apple seeds will produce an edible apple tree. Mother nature just shinned on this farmer and gave him a rogue cherry tree that was edible and awesome. 

Edited by ckreef
  • Like 1

We have a winner. 

Taste is awesome. The set was a little loose (the way I like it). Maybe just a Itty-bitty bit grainy but definitely great on toast. (I could just be to critical with myself.) 

Sure glad it came out because I was a little worried since pitting 3 lbs of cherries using the hard plastic straw method takes some work. 

OJd.thumb.jpg.9672244fea1764abfd97396fb1827741.jpg

OJe.thumb.jpg.75aadcd51b45d522e8ebe8b20ac3ca10.jpg

• Like 5

42 minutes ago, Bruce Pearson said:

Wow Charles is there no limit to your creativity? That looks delicious 

I've been making jam and canning fruit for years now. Just a batch or three each summer. I'll try and do a batch of Grilled Peach Reef Jam in another week or two. 

• Like 2

We have a winner. 
Taste is awesome. The set was a little loose (the way I like it). Maybe just a Itty-bitty bit grainy but definitely great on toast. (I could just be to critical with myself.) 
Sure glad it came out because I was a little worried since pitting 3 lbs of cherries using the hard plastic straw method takes some work. 
OJd.thumb.jpg.9672244fea1764abfd97396fb1827741.jpg
OJe.thumb.jpg.75aadcd51b45d522e8ebe8b20ac3ca10.jpg

The vegemite would have looked great in that pic lol

Outback Kamado Bar and Grill

• Like 1

There was no way I was going to let vegemite pollute my fine cherry jam - LOL 

I thought I knew you ckreef I thought you were a culinary adventurer one that could admire the rich fulness of vegemite but no you have shattered that image lol .enough dribble it's taking its time but I got another goodie to add to your box .f4075250aac161f17f1df6b44e8a2c59.jpg

Outback Kamado Bar and Grill

• Like 2