erik6bd

Prime RIB it's ready

[mention=2960]erik6bd[/mention] - amazing is right!  Amazing photos.  Amazing colors. Amazing sauce.  Amazing plated shot.  Simply amazing.  Kudos.

Thanks... I was so excited I took the photo before everything was even on the plate.... I was starving

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We had this exact cut Sunday for 12, along with brined, apple-smoked Salmon on a bed of basil. Our execution was in the spirit of this recipe, with more precise measurements and equipment. Despite lots of other food, there was none left.

I untied and opened up a five pound prime rib roll, and trimmed away absolutely all fat and silver skin that wasn't integral marbling. I ended up with three pieces. Weighing each piece separately, I salted 1%, peppered, and put in the fridge overnight on a rack to breathe. A few hours before serving, I vacuum packed each piece, and put into a 132 to 134 F sous vide water bath. I set up a Dennis coffee charcoal fire in our small Weber kettle (the KK was busy with the salmon).  Before serving, I seared all sides over the fire, and sliced into a prewarmed La Chamba clay serving dish.

Using this protocol, we've come to recognize that the fat one can trim away serves no reasonable purpose, and the geometry of the pieces is irrelevant. Trimming hours in advance, one can take one's time without penalty, exposing more surface area for the dry rub and the eventual sear.

There could be those who cling by custom to preserving the roll shape and discrete fat, but we're absolutely sold. This is unquestionably the best steak we know how to serve to groups, by a robust protocol one simply can't screw up, no matter how distracting the party has become.