Shuley

Cramming food on my 23?

So I'm doing a BBQ this weekend and I'm feeling a little ambitious. I was thinking brisket on the main grate and pork belly burnt ends on the top grate. Then I got to thinking- I'm inviting more people than in my last few bbqs and I must be getting better at brisket because last time there were almost no left overs- so anyway I thought about adding some St. Louis ribs. However I don't know if I'd have enough horizontal space for the ribs (if I were to buy a rib rack-special treat to myself) and the brisket on the main grate. Come to think of it, I doubt that I would have enough vertical space between the main grate and top grate for a rib rack anyway. I was contemplating using my Akorn for sides and apps and not low and slow (I really do NOT like trying to maintain low and slows on my Akorn- it is a pain, but it is easy enough for mid temp cooks over a short period of time). Guess I am looking to see if anyone else has ever crammed this mucheat on their 23?

Assuming that you're talking about a full packer cut of brisket, you probably still have room for a couple of racks of ribs if you put them on vertically. If you don't have a rib rack, run down to Bed, Bath & Beyond, as they usually carry Steven Raichlen's gear and you probably can pick one up for cheap this late in the season. If not, you can still run some wooden skewers through both racks, leaving a couple of inches in between and set them up vertically next to the brisket. I'd put them in about 2 inches from the top and bottom of the racks (thinking vertically) about 1/3 of the way in from each end of the racks. 

• Like 1