Shuley

BBQ last weekend

So I didn't take any pictures once everything was done but this was my best brisket to date. I wanted to do- pork belly burnt ends, packer brisket, 2 racks of St. Louis ribs and ABTs for my BBQ. Guests were bringing the sides. Could I fit this all in my 23?!??  Let's see!IMG_1496.thumb.JPG.60463ea0ccb1b22a47c0dc61b7689503.JPG

brisket on the main grate first thing in morning (I heat soaked my kk overnight so it was ready to go right away)

now it was time time for the ribs. Luckily I timed wrapping my brisket with when to put the ribs on. My heat deflector was on the handles of the charcoal basket so I was worried about these babies being too close to the heat. IMG_1500.thumb.JPG.9fd8ce8501453a728f80ab71a603c600.JPG

then returned the brisket with foil IMG_1501.thumb.JPG.71f4da73e1868379e4e971ff55a65a2c.JPG

then on the upper rack went my pork belly burnt endsIMG_1502.thumb.JPG.726674176cbe589cf4a321ff91099559.JPG

success!!!  When the brisket was done I put on the ABTs  I didn't get a pick of them on or any further pictures  after this IMG_1505.thumb.JPG.fe6c6565351f758ac6f41c8b298eeeb9.JPG

final verdict- awesome brisket, ribs were good - definitely not burnt so I wouldn't worry about using the lower rack again and the burnt ends and ABTs disappeared at an alarming rate  over all an awesome BBQ and I didn't even have to light a second kamado!

Up next- the epic dinner I cooked my husband for our anniversary!

• Like 7

On 8/4/2017 at 10:59 PM, Aussie Ora said:

Awesome you got everything on there looks great bet your mates were happy

Outback Kamado Bar and Grill

On 8/5/2017 at 1:26 AM, Steve M said:

Everything looks fantastic and the proof is in the lack of leftovers. Awesome job.

Thanks, my friends and family were super happy. It was awesome and I love doing this for people. 

On 8/5/2017 at 2:55 AM, ckreef said:

Good use of all available real estate. 

On 8/5/2017 at 3:55 AM, MacKenzie said:

Shuley, that was a fantastic cook that I am sure kept you in shape. :) 

On 8/5/2017 at 8:03 AM, CeramicChef said:

Awesome cook.  You've covered the waterfront on this one!  Congrats 

On 8/5/2017 at 9:53 AM, Stile88 said:

awesome bbq you nailed it glad everything fit nicely

Thanks all!! Half the fun in this cook was figuring out the timing and how to fit everything. I really didn't want any low and slow on my Akorn, but would be ok doing the ABTs on it. Bad news- pretty soon I'm not going to be able to justify a second full sized kamado. I've got a feeling I will be giving it away soon. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, tony b said:

Nicely done. Are those eggs on the platter with the ABTs? Did you cook them on the KK?

Next time, instead of the foil, try the pink butcher paper, ala Franklin BBQ, on the brisket. 

Yeah- I had read something on the guru about smoked eggs so I decided to try it. I was not pleased with the results. Not at all. I'm certain they were cooked too long lol

and I have the pink butcher paper and have tried it a few times. However, i haven't ever seen a brisket all the way through in the pink paper till probing tender.  I always chicken out about an hour early and wrap in foil because I hate making my guests wait for food. I can approximate time for a naked brisket (usually) or on foiled after the stall, but can't seem to get the timing down with the pink paper. I'm sure I'll try again.  Franklin's brisket is the ONLY brisket I prefer to mine. To be honest I prefer it by quite a bit though. 

11 hours ago, Shuley said:

Franklin's brisket is the ONLY brisket I prefer to mine. To be honest I prefer it by quite a bit though. 

The man does know what he's doing! 

I've never foiled, so I don't know what the comparative cooking times are between that and the pink butcher paper. My best guess, and it's only that, would be that it's somewhere between naked and foiled, probably closer to naked, since it breathes and foil doesn't. Have faith and try it all the way to the end. I think you'll like the results better than foil (nicer crust).

I can't remember who broadcast the show, I think it was PBS, but Franklin did all three methods at the same time, compared and discussed the results. The timing on all three was reasonably close, and you guessed it, paper was approximately in the middle. I've done paper with good results, but in the end, the simplicity of naked wins for me every time. The last time I used foil was simply to hold in an ice chest, and that still softened the bark enough to annoy me.

Again, nice job Shuly!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1