JDBBQ

KK32 landing in Western PA soon

My 32" KK arrived today !!!  Only issue was that the delivery company guy's pallet jack wouldn't fit under the crate (pallet forks wrong width).  Basically a screw up on their end.  Luckily my landscaper was able to scoop it up with a Bobcat (forks adjustable) and take it off the truck.  Its sitting in the yard and he will take it around to the patio later today/tomorrow.

I am planning for the un-crating on Saturday.

I want to do a low and slow (before the break in) for my son before he goes back to school next week.  I think brisket is an all day cook?  how long do ribs take as a "first cook" ?

Thanks

• Like 1

Ribs can be done in 4 to 6 hours depending on your pit temps.

A hot and fast brisket in about 8 hours  give or take a little.

I would lean towards something that cooks at a little higher temp than brisket or ribs and takes less time until you get use to regulating the dampers. Yardbird would be a good choice and would keep the smoker temps below the recommended burn-in temp's even if you cooked it hot.

Good luck and have fun.

Brisket is all day, or all night, depending on when you start. I do ribs at 275°, indirect, which is usually right at 4 hrs. Chicken can be much quicker, I like to do mine direct at about 350°, but that's not too critical. You can do it low/slo, but I prefer it otherwise. If you decide what you want to cook, it's easy to figure good ways to do it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My last brisket was about 15 pounds and I started it at around 9 at night. It was late afternoon the next day before I was able to take it off and let it rest for a couple of hours. I wished I had started earlier. I was cooking at 225.

Ribs are a good safe choice and gives you a chance to become acquainted. Plan on 4-6 hours or so to get them to your liking.

See if you can locate a small boneless pork shoulder/butt (say 4 or 5 lbs). Those will cook @ 250F  in about the same time as ribs.

You will be amazed at how juicy a whole chicken will come out on the KK. That's always a good safe 1st cook - almost impossible to screw up. 

• Like 1

On 8/12/2017 at 8:23 AM, Flht01 said:

I'm still working on hitting target temps without overshooting. This morning I was at 300 before I got it settled in, about 50 degrees over my target. I went ahead and put the brisket on at 300 and did it Blu Dawg style.

Remember that temperature is airflow if you're too hot reduce the volume of air. Charcoal always burns at the maximum volume for the loud airflow and it's the volume of Charcoal that  creates the temperature.  

When you first light the grill the body will be absorbing a lot of the heat and it will give you a false too low reading, It's very easy to think you need more airflow and then when you give it more airflow you end up overshooting your target temperature.  Try opening the chimney spinning the damper top until it's free, then turn it back and until it just touches the gasket and then move it one of those ears only 1.5"    

• Like 2

Not sure about that ... just wasn't home long enough to open (had a meeting and dinner I had to attend). Psyched my landscaper happened to have Bob Cat there.  Saved me hours of rolling across yard and my son from hearing colorful language in the process

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

First cook questions .....

Ok guys, I have my 32" KK unpacked and ready to go.  

As an aside, I have to add that the quality, fit, finish and attention to detail is amazing !  It feels like one is unwrapping parts that have made by a true craftsman.  Not a common experience in these days of mass production.  This grill and components is amazing.  It was like Christmas in August!

So for my first cook I am going to do some ribs.  I am thinking 1/2 basket of cocochar with some wood chunks if I can pick some up quick (I will try the smoke pot thing later).  Should I then put the heat deflector stand in and the big heat deflector stones?

Then cook on the top rack at about 225 to 250?  About 4 or 5 hours likely?

Any comments/confirmations/suggestions would be great.  Trying to get a cook in today to reward my meat loving son before he returns to school this week.

Thanks