JDBBQ

KK32 landing in Western PA soon

I would not suggest the deflector stone, mine is still in mint condition.  Any type of pan will act as a heat deflector, an old pizza pan, etc. The fire will not be huge so you don't need a big pan. That's my 2 cents. :) Remember too, that in the KK the fire will be quite far from the food so that helps to keep things from spot burning.

• Like 1

Good advice from the others, nothing to add here. Haven't used my deflector stone in years; I use either the drip pan or some aluminum foil on the lower grate - easy, peasy! 

One new trick that I used for the first time last night - if you have a MAPP/Propane torch, pre-scorch your wood chunks. You'll get to good smoke faster. 

• Like 3

I have been cooking the meat for 1.75 hours.  Top open maybe 1/3 to 1/2 turn up from gasket and bottom is small crack on left opening and second largest "pencil" hole on right.  This is more air than suggested above - but dome temp won't go above around 220 and just off grate (per ThermoWorks Smoky probe is about 260 to 270).  Any suggestions on how and whether I should try and get the temp up?

I did check the dome temp thermometer (compared to a Thermapen in 200 degree water) this morning and it was calibrated ok.

Thanks