tekobo

Is a Komodo Kamado Enough for All Your Grilling Needs?

Oh yes!  What fun.  Everything happened so fast.  The first KK was already being wheeled down our alleyway by the time I got out and they were both deposited, in quick succession, in our garden.

Now I know why the delivery company were so reluctant to deliver to our narrow back road:

5a3bf925843b9_l4i9rCb7SaqrnAIXIVaiw.thumb.jpg.019525081f2702f405877797f389cd1c.jpg

Then I had a bit of a panic when I realised I hadn't got them to orient the boxes the right way for the ramp to work.  That is, until we realised the ramp wouldn't work because the delivery company had put an additional pallet under the KK pallet and so the ramp wasn't up to the job.  

6Cemj48sQOyc9omx9k3O8A.thumb.jpg.5d3ef1242afc3342212572ad2a61e7ec.jpg

Disembarkation option 1:  the boys tried lifting and realised they needed to respect these KKs.  

t1rDZ8hZRjCZP7kOOeNLkw.thumb.jpg.ab3d81572f541fceeb2c63b6eccb4a12.jpg

Disembarkation option 2: not the right level

5a3bfa5c812e6_AYug5dZjR2VFxEz7QVTA.thumb.jpg.0fd3a37cce74af9562c57d8f960a2e7c.jpg

Disembarkation option 3: bingo!  That's why you buy two KKs.  So you can screw your two ramps together.

CpGM8dKcSJyoUqBTC1sBvw.thumb.jpg.07e189da89620e051dd8253ffea270b6.jpg

A bit of fun bashing out the box under the KK and then a quick run down the ramp, supported by a winch.

5a3bfa68ab005_l6XUE6VNQDFUt1oWz0CmA.thumb.jpg.107d671c76ebb4f286a7740cba2cc2e3.jpg

Much easier with the 21"

5a3bfa6f09d3c_3GhMZb8RXOataQug3lA0Q.thumb.jpg.d572c62003eded6162c6aa97ce117fcf.jpg

And here they are in situ.  Better shots when it is light tomorrow.  

6MZcR3UkS8S4YAVhORwDbA.thumb.jpg.2ceea43a47af3f7fef95e9a95cbe72bd.jpg

Off to light a fire.  Yippee!  I think the first cook is going to be some no fuss chicken wings.  

• Like 3

What a great day.  I am so happy that I didn't wait to get everything just right before I started to cook.  I love the way the KKs look, I respect and adore the engineering but they are here to provide me with food and I don't want to be scared of them.

We lit coals in the 21" and after first stabilising at about 140degrees C I took it up to 160 and put the chicken on.  I had hoped to get it hotter but went with it anyway.  What did I learn?  First: step away from the damper!  Leave it alone and let the temperatures settle.  Second: put more char in the bowl.  The KK's efficiency may be legendary but it can't cook on a grapefruit sized pile of coals.

Dad and The Husband bailed out at about 9:30pm and I put their wings, drumsticks and thighs in the indoor oven.  I held out until 10:30pm by which time the wings were more like they had been in a long slow sous vide than a BBQ.   Very tasty.  I have left the rest in to cook in the ambient heat from the remaining few coals.  Will "pull"(?) them soon and shut the machine down.  The 21 feels like a good size for a greedy family of 2-3.  I look forward to trying the 23 tomorrow.  

The photos reflect a less than perfect cook but I am OK with that. Any advice on corrective actions to take gratefully received.  @Grant, I will definitely show you some detail on the 21.  I think it is worth a separate post, comparing it to the 23 and generally getting to know it.  

Come on baby, light my fire:

5a3c4d8b7a0ac_luERFwHQ4qwQBEPSha8QQ.thumb.jpg.8b05d6b86da8cb7fd00ab57165ee89d8.jpg

What was left after the rest of the chicken went into the IDK

OeluChNpTwCE8WevjHDblw.thumb.jpg.5b01b862cbd3eb50c66d87e1e9111116.jpg

Plated in honour of our Brazilian holiday, with fried rice, beans, farofa and chilli.

xL6HNUdaRYyEp9i8kscC0Q.thumb.jpg.457a89a8be7a2f92936fff43b6931b9a.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I would have hung it out to the very end, my motto, never give up. :)  You are so  correct fill up that charcoal basket right to the top. Once the cook is done shut the vents and the fire will go out and you'll have some nice lump left for the next cook. It will light easier too although you may have to top it up with lump. One of the great things about the KK is that the grate is a nice distance from the fire so you can do direct cooks without scorching the food. 160 or 170 C should do a great job on the wings. It takes some practice to learn how to control the temp. Key thing is give the KK time to settle before making vent changes, next thing you know you'll be doing it with your eyes shut. Sometimes I even drive into town to do a short errand knowing that the temp will be stable. :) 

BTW, I'd like to know how you got all those boxes unpacked sooo quickly. :) 

Edited by MacKenzie
  • Thanks 2

Why am I thinking about this now? LOL After you have closed the vents and the KK has cooled down, indicating the fire is out, loosen the top vent a tad and move the locking handle to the first position. This will relax the pressure on the gaskets and help preserve their longevity. If only I could do that to myself and not just my KKs.;)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1