tekobo

Is a Komodo Kamado Enough for All Your Grilling Needs?

Hi there,  I have had an obsession with Komodo Kamado grills since 2012 and am now, finally, on the verge of buying one.  My husband and I are having a debate about what we should get and I am hoping you can help to inform our decision.

From what I can see on the forum, the solution to having different grilling needs is simply to buy another Komodo Kamado :-)  That appeals because if one is awesome then two must be even better, right?  However, we have some space challenges and want to be sure that we can do low and slow well alongside quick flash grilling.  So, our debate revolves around:

1.  Get a 19" Hi-cap tall (great sale price and the hi-cap could be more versatile than the 23") with a custom Argentinian grill alongside for hot grills alongside a low and slow in the kamado.

2.  Get a 19" Hi-cap tall, try it out and see if it meets all our needs.

3.  Go all in and get the 32" Big Bad and use for low and slow and searing when required but not at the same time.  

Whichever way we go, I don't see how we can regret it given all options include a Komodo Kamado.  This feels like the start of a great journey and I get the feeling we will buy more than one of these over time.  Over to you - what do you think?

Hello tekobo and welcome,

I think you're on the right track. I'm having pretty good success with cranking up the heat for searing while my low-n-slow is wrapped and resting in a cooler. And that's in a 16" TT. I've found most low-n-slow is better after an hour or better rest. That's more than enough of time to achieve the heat needed for a sear.

I think additional questions should be, "how many people am I going to be feeding?" Is a 19" large enough? Am I going to be doing more than low-n-slow and searing? Rotisserie and baking for example. To put it simply, you can't go wrong with the KK, just make sure you're getting one that fits all your needs.

Have you read this?  Forbes: The Best Made Grill On The Market Let's You Cook Or Smoke Anything

• Like 2

Thanks Paul

I had read the article and lots else on the forum besides.  The problem is, it feels like there is a big difference between reading stuff to reinforce the general awesomeness of Kamodo Kamados and  placing your bet on your choice of grill for you!

I am really interested in a number of things that you have talked about.  It's obvious now you say it, but I hadn't thought about the time it takes to rest meat for low and slow cooks. That clearly creates the option for searing smaller items while you wait.  It is also great to hear that you have a 16"TT.  We have a fairly large Argentinian grill at the moment but we don't use it often.  While I like the idea of a 32" for its versatility, I also just want to get into regular no fuss cooking for two and a smaller kamado seems to fit that bill.  Views on how you get on with a smaller grill and how others use the 32" for small cooks would be very helpful.

No doubt about it I will be purchasing a larger one in the near future. Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy and impressed with the 16"...but I want more real estate. When my children visit the grill get pretty crowded.

Here's a pic of a 5 lbs tri tip and some artichokes. As you can see the grill is full.

Full Cook.jpg

We own two presently. 19.5" (old model) and a 23".

The 32 & 42 did not exist when we were buying, otherwise we would have chosen one of the two.

These grill can do everything, low-slow, sear, grill, bake, etc. 

We have not used anything but these grills since 2007 for all our outdoor cooking.

My opinion is that you should buy either the 32 or 42; you will not regret it.

cheers

• Like 1

I would go with the 32 if you can manage it but any size kk you will be more then happy with. I have the 23 and it fits all my needs but i find with big events i run out of real estate but i certainly made it work and was very doable.. my next is going to be the 32 down line ...

Best to call Dennis and he will steer you in the right direction 

I own two KK's - a 23 and a 32. The best reason for two is that I can run at two different temps or different cook styles simultaneously. Roti on one while direct grill on the other, etc. If I could only have one it would be the 32 hands down. Why? Because it's the best overall combination of capacity and versatility. The 32 can do true two-zone grilling when using the basket splitter. My 23 has a splitter too, but the smaller size and round shape make it less effective at two zone. 

That said, here's my advice: In your situation I vote for #2. As long as you're reconciled to the fact that you'll end up with two KK's anyway (and you will), start with the 19 at a great price, use it awhile, then see what you need from there. 

• Like 4

I am thinking along the same lines as Pequod, get the 19 TT knowing that you will soon be ordering the 32 BB. :) You are going to see a nice improvement in the taste of your food and will want to use it a lot. It really depends upon how many you will be cooking for how long you will want to wait for the 32. ;) If the colour and tile type that you really really want is among the 19 TTs that you are looking at, fine, if not remember you will want to match with the 32 inch so...... 

• Like 1

If you're remotely considering a 32", get it, then get the 19" for smaller cooks if you like.

I have a 23", and a 19", and I must say, while the 19" is a wonderful grill, it cannot compare to the versatility of the 23". The larger grills weren't available when I bought my 23", and I've built my outdoor kitchen around it, so bigger at this point for me isn't really an option.

My point is that if bigger is a consideration, I say go with that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Best advice @tekobo?   Don't wait another 5-years before pulling trigger on a Komodo Kamado! :D

Almost 4-years owning & using my 23".   Love it!   Yes I might like the 32" even more but ... I also love my 23".   For the 2 of us its perfect and it also is perfect for a party of 6-8.   I consistently bake high temp Neapolitan pies.   I bake biscotti.   And souffles.   And roast every vegetable you can imagine.   Low and slow for candy like tomato halves.   There just isn't any cooking job the KK can't do.

Just be sure to order plenty of CoffeeChar with your grill order ;).

Edited by dstr8

I have a BB32 and love it. KK owners love their KK's no matter what size. I think it's better to have the extra space and not need it all the time than not have it and need it some of the time. What ever you get you'll love it it I guarantee! they are sooooo much better up close and personal than in the pictures it will blow you away.

• Like 1

Not a lot to add to what's already been said. I own a 23" and it's everything that I need. I seldom entertain for more that 6 to 8 people and have never run out of room on the KK. 

When you finally decide on which size, come back and we'll discuss accessories. And, as someone mentioned, load up that crate with as much CoCo Char and Coffee Wood as will fit. Cheapest shipping on it you will ever pay. 

I have been at work all day here in the UK but have followed your answers with interest and even laughed out loud a few times.  Thank you so much for responding in such detail, I already feel like part of your community and look forward to when my profile changes to reflect my acquisition of a KK and promotion to the Owners club.

So...my prudent side says buy a 19" hi top tall and get the best use out of that.  My other, also prudent, side says buy a 32" and another smaller KK (maybe a table top) and get them shipped to the UK at the same time given that is the inevitable outcome of entering into this world.

I am now sold on the 32".  Going big would be my normal choice and we have (just) enough space for it.  The location is on ground level and it could be rolled into place with enough people to help.  I also like Pequod's tip about two zone cooking being a more realistic option in the larger KK. 

Why now?  I am 50 next year and my husband offered to buy me a KK for my birthday.  I am pretty certain it will get more use than the earrings that I got for my 40th and am too scared to wear for fear of losing them!  A 32" KK will be difficult to drop down a plug hole or leave on a hotel bedside table. :-)

All I have to do now is convince husband that his present to me does not need to be augmented by an Argentinian grill but may need to stretch to a monster of a KK.  I'll be in touch with an update and yes, I have experienced Dennis' good communication in the past and look forward to converting that into a sale soon.  I am so excited!

Edited by tekobo
  • Like 5