tekobo

Is a Komodo Kamado Enough for All Your Grilling Needs?

That's a good looking combination, FotonDrv.  One of our challenges is that there won't be room for wings in our chimney space if we get a 32" and so we will need to have a different arrangement for resting food and tools.   

The good news is that The Husband also liked all your posts and is now in a place where he appears to be talking about which two KKs we need to buy.  No white smoke until the weekend though as he wants to do some sketches to assess the fit.  I'm the civil engineer and he's the marine engineer but he gets to do the sketches - go figure!

Edited by tekobo
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, tekobo said:

That's a good looking combination, FotonDrv.  One of our challenges is that there won't be room for wings in our chimney space if we get a 32" and so we will need to have a different arrangement for resting food and tools.   

The good news is that The Husband also liked all your posts and is now in a place where he appears to be talking about which two KKs we need to buy.  No white smoke until the weekend though as he wants to do some sketches to assess the fit.  I'm the civil engineer and he's the marine engineer but he gets to do the sketches - go figure!

As an aerospace engineer masquerading professionally as an electrical engineer, I say: what could possibly go wrong? :shock:

Spoke to Dennis today.  Yes, Bruce, he is one of the good guys.  He doesn't think we will need a second KK alongside a 32" unless we really want to do different types of cooks simultaneously.  I think resting low and slow while searing easy bites will work for us.

Like Pequod, neither I nor my husband practice the discipline we started our working lives in.  I now oversee software developments. Made me laugh to think of a KK and the term Minimum Viable Product in the same sentence!!

While The Husband does sketches I think I will be hauling out old cardboard boxes to build out a 32" KK shape in our chimney space.  Will help to get a 3D feel.  Will also look at the cabinets but I am keen to keep most of the KK on display.

Which brings me to that all important subject...colour, or as you say, color.   You would think this was easy, that there would be a colour that grabbed your heart and would not let it go.  Well, depending on my mood I go from dark Cobalt blue to metallic bronze to olive and gold pebble and back round to autumn.  We have a garden full of plants and flowers and I kind of fancy the idea of the reflection of the garden in the metallic bronze.  This will swing over the next few days and The Husband will also have his say.  The journey will be as much fun as the destination.  Thanks again for all your input and help.  Accessories to follow, before or after white smoke...

• Like 1

I guess I'm one of the the bad guys. Let me inject my crooked opinion here ............ 

Disclaimer: I am completely anal about all my food being done at the same time. The only real except is low-n-slow wrapped and resting in a cooler. I get down right pissed off at myself if all the different parts of a meal aren't done at the same time. 

Crooked Opinion:

One kamado is just not enough. Even if you had a  32" KK that would still leave you cooking stuff on the inside (of your house). You just can't do multiple temperatures on a single kamado and there are very few meals where every part needs the same temperature. 

2 Kamados are the bare minimum. If you are creative enough you can usually pull off a 3-4 part meal on 2 Kamados. With that said I own 3 kamados. I frequently use all 3 even though I'm only cooking for 2-3 people. It has nothing to do with the amount of food, has everything to do with the different temperatures needed. 

:End of Crooked Opinion. 

• Like 3

I only own 1 KK (23") and will tell you about juggling last night's cook. Mine wasn't 2 different temperatures, but 2 different cooking techniques. I needed to roast cut up veggies for the potato salad, and I wanted to rotisserie the chicken thighs and an ear of corn. Fortunately, the veggies didn't take that long, so I took advantage of the warmup time on the KK to reach my rotisserie temp (400F) to do them. When they were done, shortly after the KK reached temperature, I took out the main grate where I had the pan with the veggies, and put in the rotisserie basket with the ear of corn and the 2 chicken thighs. Point of this - you can juggle a cook on a single grill, but sometimes it's a challenge. Like Charles said, it's very easy to hold a low & slow cook (pork butt or brisket) in a cooler, ramp up the temp in the KK and then cook your sides, while the meat rests. But, there are many scenarios where that second KK comes in handy, especially entertaining - you might be doing ribs on one KK and grilling burgers on the other, so everyone eats at the same time. Just some things to ponder while picking out the colour of your tiles (hint, hint - Dark Autumn Nebula!)

• Like 1

No need for a disclaimer ckreef, I am with you on food for a particular course being ready at the same time time.  Where we differ is the fact that I don't mind being in the warm, cooking the sides inside the house, with the occasional trip out to check on a lump of meet on the barbie or even to turn a few sausages.  That's a good description of winter barbecuing in the UK.

In the summer, I like to take the South American approach.  You make your bbq last at least half a day and food comes slowly in waves as you drink and eat the day away, enjoying each new delicacy as it comes.  I am pretty sure that, with a combination of some kitchen prep of sides, we can do that with one KK and some of the juggling that Tony describes.  The other thing to note is that the special price on the 19" Hi-top Tall is only available to you lucky folks in the US because the stock is already on your side of the ocean. :-)

I have a 23 and 32 combo and really enjoy it, however, I really wish that I went 19 and 23 most days like @5698k.  

I have been cooking on kamado grills for the past 6 years and have owned 8 different kamado's before going to the KK.  

With that said, I agree with CC on the need for multiple kamado grills.  I have preached this for years to people.  

When I first started out, I went with the XL version of a competitor brand and loved it.  It was all that I had and I didn't know different.  I cooked everyday and crushed through bags of charcoal.  I still had my gasser and would cook the odd meal on it, however, I found more often then not, the need for another kamado.  Finishing cooks on time using different temps, space etc.  

Then I added a second kamado at 18" and found week night cooks easier due to quicker heat up, and less fuel for the day to day cooking was used.  I loved having different grills for different tasks. 

Fast forward to the KKs.  The 32 is awesome, it has tons of room and super fuel efficient, however, its still very big and will use more lump then the smaller units.  

The 23" Ultimate is the sexiest model in the fleet.  There is something about its lines that get me every time.  

I use the 23" 95% of the time and reserve the 32" for larger cooks, overflow cooks, and majority low and slow grills.  My 23" is now my week night cooker....

With that said, I do find sometimes myself wishing for a quicker heat up then the two. That is where I think @5698k has the best setup in the fleet.  

If I were you, and I am not so its easy for me to tell you what to do because it is not my money.  

I would order a 19 and 23 at the same time so you can ensure they are the same colour if you like matching and have OCD.  Also bleed once, cry once in my opinion.  And to be honest, it won't be that much more than just buying one 32" grill.  I would also, consider having Dennis build you a custom table for the setup as his wood working skills are next level on the craftsmanship scale. 

buy yourself a baking stone for the 23" and rotisserie and keep the 19 with stock parts for now.  This setup will be by far and above better than owning one grill any day of the week.  

You will cover the ability to rotisserie and cook other items at the same time, 2 different temp cooks (most common for us is ribs and chicken), cover off family events with room for casserole dishes in one and a large chunk of meat on the other, and most importantly cover off those days where you want to be up to temp quickly when you just don't have time.  

Im not steering you away from a 32" and by all means if that is where your mind is headed, then you do it, but honestly, 2 is always better than one.  

I just took a pause to do some research on current pricing......

32" $5,900-$6,100

19" TT $2,840-$2,940

23" $4,260-$4,440

I would recommend the table top model for the 19" personally it looks dope and will look even better on a custom Teak table beside the 23"

So sounds like you like the pebble finish so 32" will cost 6,100 opposed to a 19" and 23" combo will cost 7,380.  Lets be serious for a moment.... both options are a lot of money no doubt.  But if you are already in 6,100.00 going up another 1,280 is really not going to make or break a sale.  Does that make sense?  My dad always says, in for a penny.... in for a pound!  I agree in this situation that the extra 1280.00 (993.82 GBP) will be a worth upgrade.  

If the table is too much all at once, get the beautiful stand that Dennis produces for the 19" until you can make or have hubby make a table for you to house the units.  

I vote for versatility like @ckreef said above and spend a bit more to cover absolutely everything

Sorry to throw a curve here, its a huge purchase so best to be informed of all options

Good luck 

Ryan

• Like 4

1 hour ago, bosco said:

I have a 23 and 32 combo and really enjoy it, however, I really wish that I went 19 and 23 most days like @5698k.  

I have been cooking on kamado grills for the past 6 years and have owned 8 different kamado's before going to the KK.  

With that said, I agree with CC on the need for multiple kamado grills.  I have preached this for years to people.  

When I first started out, I went with the XL version of a competitor brand and loved it.  It was all that I had and I didn't know different.  I cooked everyday and crushed through bags of charcoal.  I still had my gasser and would cook the odd meal on it, however, I found more often then not, the need for another kamado.  Finishing cooks on time using different temps, space etc.  

Then I added a second kamado at 18" and found week night cooks easier due to quicker heat up, and less fuel for the day to day cooking was used.  I loved having different grills for different tasks. 

Fast forward to the KKs.  The 32 is awesome, it has tons of room and super fuel efficient, however, its still very big and will use more lump then the smaller units.  

The 23" Ultimate is the sexiest model in the fleet.  There is something about its lines that get me every time.  

I use the 23" 95% of the time and reserve the 32" for larger cooks, overflow cooks, and majority low and slow grills.  My 23" is now my week night cooker....

With that said, I do find sometimes myself wishing for a quicker heat up then the two. That is where I think @5698k has the best setup in the fleet.  

If I were you, and I am not so its easy for me to tell you what to do because it is not my money.  

I would order a 19 and 23 at the same time so you can ensure they are the same colour if you like matching and have OCD.  Also bleed once, cry once in my opinion.  And to be honest, it won't be that much more than just buying one 32" grill.  I would also, consider having Dennis build you a custom table for the setup as his wood working skills are next level on the craftsmanship scale. 

buy yourself a baking stone for the 23" and rotisserie and keep the 19 with stock parts for now.  This setup will be by far and above better than owning one grill any day of the week.  

You will cover the ability to rotisserie and cook other items at the same time, 2 different temp cooks (most common for us is ribs and chicken), cover off family events with room for casserole dishes in one and a large chunk of meat on the other, and most importantly cover off those days where you want to be up to temp quickly when you just don't have time.  

Im not steering you away from a 32" and by all means if that is where your mind is headed, then you do it, but honestly, 2 is always better than one.  

I just took a pause to do some research on current pricing......

32" $5,900-$6,100

19" TT $2,840-$2,940

23" $4,260-$4,440

I would recommend the table top model for the 19" personally it looks dope and will look even better on a custom Teak table beside the 23"

So sounds like you like the pebble finish so 32" will cost 6,100 opposed to a 19" and 23" combo will cost 7,380.  Lets be serious for a moment.... both options are a lot of money no doubt.  But if you are already in 6,100.00 going up another 1,280 is really not going to make or break a sale.  Does that make sense?  My dad always says, in for a penny.... in for a pound!  I agree in this situation that the extra 1280.00 (993.82 GBP) will be a worth upgrade.  

If the table is too much all at once, get the beautiful stand that Dennis produces for the 19" until you can make or have hubby make a table for you to house the units.  

I vote for versatility like @ckreef said above and spend a bit more to cover absolutely everything

Sorry to throw a curve here, its a huge purchase so best to be informed of all options

Good luck 

Ryan

Just to be contrary, I actually use my 32 more for day to day cooks than the 23. I tend to keep the 32 in the split basket configuration with the lowest grate directly over the coals and half grate on the indirect side. I also find that my 32 gets to temp much faster than my 23 when using just the vents. I can pull the vent door out, etc. on the 23 to bump things up a bit, but the 32 is downright agile for a big fella. 

• Like 1

Yeah to each is own and I love my 23/32 combo but I think if I was considering 1 grill I would always opt for 2.  That's all that I was getting at. 

Also with 2 zone... if you have two grills you don't need to worry about that lol

Having 2 grills instead of one big one is the best option for any cook in my opinion. 

But you know what they say about opinions 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, 5698k said:

If you're using the basket splitter, you essentially double the airflow, which explains why the 32 heats faster. Put the splitter in the 23, now you're comparing apples again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kind of. The mass flow rate (fluid dynamicst here -- don't make me pull out the quasi-1D Navier Stokes equations! :shock:) through the Kamado is determined by the exit and entrance areas of the top and lower vents. Yes, it forces all of that air through 1/2, but that 1/2 on a 32 is very roughly the same size as a full basket on my 23. And even with a full 32 basket, the 32 is far more agile than the 23, unless I pull vents out etc. Simple physics -- larger chimney cap and vent dials --> much greater airflow overall through the system...if I want it. 

• Like 2

The white smoke is actually coloured cobalt blue pebble.  

And the smoke is being pushed out by.....

....a 23" and a new 21" Supreme Tall.  The latter is a bit of a leap of faith but we trust in Dennis and the fact that his newest grill will be his current best. 

Thank you so much for all your advice.  I'll need a rest now before embarking on the what charcoal, how much charcoal and which accessories investigation.  The Husband is happy too.  

Edited by tekobo
  • Like 3