tekobo

Is a Komodo Kamado Enough for All Your Grilling Needs?

Indeed. Smart move to wait until they actually start production before ordering the Block. 

Hang in there, Charles. I hope you get yours soon. I'm still backing other Kickstarter projects and so far, everyone that's been funded has delivered - eventually! Only one that's been a disappointment was the documentary on Molly Ivins. They haven't posted an update on Kickstarter in almost 9 months and are 2 years into the project. Win some, lose some - it's the nature of the crowdfunding game. 

23 hours ago, ckreef said:

If I ever get it I'll post all about it, no worries there. 

I am too a super early MEATER Block backer. Its been almost 2+ years or something like that when i backed them.... haha. It looks like they are slowly getting their act together, so fingers crossed we have it by Christmas. I have put off buying any other probes as it seems they are getting closer. I hope the product lives up to the expectation, as i hate probe cords.

@tekobo, great thread here. Its been a good journey to this point, i cant wait to see what you end up getting and see some pics from the first few cooks. I love seeing things come together like they have for you both.

I am one of those minority that do use the double bottom drip pan. I use it for my low and slow only. I find its super easy to use as a deflector and just sit the foil trays on top of it. It fills the size of my 32 perfectly and saves me stuffing around with foil if i dont have the time. However if price is a concern, i would throw it into the optional basket over a few other options you have put on the to buy list. However if money is not a problem, i do find it useful.

Definitely get the spit rod attachment. This is something i use all the time and like others said, its a really nice way to spin a chook. Great flavour when they are dripping over the coals I find. 

Tee hee.  We need some rules around here.  No one, but no one, is allowed to use the five letter word that gets @ckreef so riled.  If you are in any doubt, the word starts with a b and ends with a k.  :shock:

All good here and thanks for stopping by @churchi.  I am like a kiddy in a sweet shop but am restraining/entertaining myself by bothering local cocochar suppliers now.  Just waiting for the day when an email from Dennis drops into my mailbox with photos of my new best friends.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, churchi said:

I hope the product lives up to the expectation, as i hate probe cords.

I have my single probe unit (all that I backed). I've used it several times now and it does work pretty good. It does tie up my phone somewhat, as I have to leave it within range of the probe to stay connected (advantage of the Block). One thing that I've learned, don't orient it in the meat where the fat/drippings will run down the probe (i.e., insert the probe parallel to the axis of rotation.) Otherwise, the drippings collect at the end and build up a crust, causing the ambient temperature indication to go wonky! The meat temps stay just fine, which is the only really important measurement. And, totally blow off their "time to cook" estimates. Their algorithm needs work. They've even admitted it on the Kickstarter page in responding to comments. But, overall, I like it for the simple fact that I can now monitor meat temps on a rotisserie cook without have to stop the motor and stick a Thermapen into the meat periodically. (BTW - their meat thermometer agrees within 1 degree of my Thermapen, so you know that it accurate.) 

I have just been re-reading this thread to remind myself of what I ordered and why.  Your posts made me smile and laugh out loud.  You were all so very kind to this newbie.  I know you often say "Christmas has come early" to people when their huge KK crate arrives.  In my case, I am hoping that is true.  Delivery was delayed from yesterday due to Christmas congestion at the port.  KKs due to arrive in our back yard tomorrow afternoon.  Holding my breath and crossing my fingers...

• Like 2

Tekobo, it's a done deal, my friend and I toasted out specialty coffee to the arrival of your KKs before Xmas. The coffee was especially tasty so taking this as a sign that your delivery is on track.:drinkers::drinkers::drinkers: 

Better make sure the batteries are fully charged we won't want to miss a minute of your delivery. :smt060

• Like 1

Pics will be forthcoming, I promise.  My main challenge is not missing the delivery.  In a world of Skype and FaceTime, I have stupidly arranged a face to face meeting in London tomorrow that I can't back out of.  I have asked for a pm delivery and will be working hard to get back in time for the fun!!  

4 hours ago, tekobo said:

Pics will be forthcoming, I promise.  My main challenge is not missing the delivery.  In a world of Skype and FaceTime, I have stupidly arranged a face to face meeting in London tomorrow that I can't back out of.  I have asked for a pm delivery and will be working hard to get back in time for the fun!!  

Oh my goodness, talk about drama. :shock:

• Sad 1

Not as dramatic as it sounds.  The Husband and builder friend will be here and are all prepared to have fun with the KKs whether I get back in time or not.  Meeting in London from 8am to 10am.  Catch 10:30am train back, arrive station 12noon.  Home 12:15pm.  IF all goes to plan, I shall be back for the after noon delivery.  I just hope they don't decide to be helpful and try to deliver early!!!