erikcaso

Freestanding vs Table Top

Hi. I'm considering buying a KK and was curious as to any differences or benefits of getting the freestanding versions over the table top versions. I'm in the midst of building an outdoor kitchen now, so I need to incorporate an area for the TT version if I go that route. The likely models I would consider are the 23" Ultimate or the 22" Hi-Cap Table Top, but I'd definitely be open to other models if suggested. The price is more or less the same, so that isn't a concern. For one reason or another, I lean towards the TT version because I can more effectively incorporate it into the kitchen, but I'm not sure that matters much or is the biggest consideration. I care far more about quality of the cooking, so if one performs fundamentally better than the other, that would likely make my decision. I expect to use the KK for grilling, smoking and pizza oven duties; probably bread as well. Likely more things over time as I become familiar with the benefits and capabilities of what it can do. So I really don't want to limit myself by getting one or the other, if that is the case.

Is there a difference in using either of these or their performance? Or is it really just an aesthetic preference? Thanks for the help and advice.

If you think you won't need to roll your KK to another location for some special occasion then a Table top model would work perfectly and I have a personal preference for the Hi-Cap, lots of head room and you can get your pizzas, bread up in the dome for a fantastic cook. I am thinking as I write, even if you get the TT model you could have a cart on wheels that would fit into the space and still move it. Either way you are going to be ecstatic about the KK and the food that you cook with it. :) 

What I don't know is whether the 22" tt is as deep as the 23", does it have all of the cooking levels. If they're equal from that standpoint, I'll say that I prefer the free standing from a maintenance standpoint. Moving the grill to clean the space, and the rare spring adjustment, or gasket replacement.

I have a 23 and a 19 tt, so I've dealt with both types. From a pure cooking standpoint, one kk cooks like another.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We do not have a cart for the 22" Table tops. I figure if someone wants a rolling version that size just buy the 23" Ultimate. The stainless carts are so expensive for the 16" and 19" TT grills that we barely get cost out of them.. and we sell very few.

I will say for a Table Top Grill the 22" is a beast.. I made the lower bucket 24" from table to lip which is HUGE..

Hi everyone, thanks for the input so far. I don't imagine needing to move it ever. I live in San Diego and my yard will have an area specifically for cooking. I can't imagine a need to move it from that area (e.g. weather, etc.). The rest of the kitchen will certainly not be moveable and if I get the TT version it would have an area specifically built into the kitchen for it. Sounds like other than needing to move the KK around, either one would work for me just fine. Is that right?

While both will work equally well for you, my humble advice is to go 22" TT for your outdoor kitchen. I think in the long run, that will be more aesthetically pleasing to you. You now just have to match tile colors to the kitchen counter-tops and you're all set! 

Next, we can offer advice on accessories. As a start, based on your comments, the KK pizza stone is a MUST. Max out the boxes of CoCoChar and Coffee Wood on the palette. Consider the rotisserie options and a basket splitter w/2nd charcoal basket. The cold smoker is a "nice to have" option, if you'll think you'll use it enough. 

Wow, great input Tony B, thanks. I'll add those accessories to my list and do some reading here about the coffee wood (I've never used some of the things you are referring to here, so lots of learning on my end). Glad to hear that the freestanding and table top versions do not offer any differences in use. I was worried the internal geometry might result in some impact on my decision. That not being the case, I'll be going with the table top for sure. Thanks everyone.