JDBBQ

My first cook - ribs and a small butt

Hi - thanks for the feedback and all the guidance on getting me set up and though the cook

It took a little longer than I thought and with the feedback I will put the Thermoworks sensor more in the middle next time to see if the temp readings are more synched.

I can't comment on the effectiveness of charring the hickory since this was my first time using chunks of wood (previously with my gas grill I would head the ribs in the oven at 225 for several hours and then finish on the grill (no wood chunks, I would use some liquid smoke in the sealed pan during the oven step).

Another lesson - I cooked too much food so we will have having leftovers - I also definitely like the St Louis cut - very meaty and less fat than the full spare rib cut (not sure if that is universal or just the packaged ribs I got (Smithfield vacuum pack I think).

For the wine pairing fans - I had a nice 2008 Syrah that went very well (both during the watch the grill and the eat the ribs phase)

Cheers

• Like 3

Cooked too much food? Not possible  :smt046

I much prefer st louis cut ribs to spareribs. They are pretty close to my favorite of baby backs. As far as the time goes, there could be a couple of things going on.

Your temps could have been lower than measured. You could try calibrating the dome thermometer and your temperature probe to make sure they are accurate. My dome thermometer was just off a couple of degrees. It isn't unusual to measure two different temps when the cook is starting. After a couple of hours they typically get pretty close if you are keeping the top closed.

Or it could be as @Pequod said and the grate probe was not over the foil and you were getting some direct temps on the probe.

You can't argue with results though. They look like they turned out great.

Nice job on that virgin cook. And, NO, it doesn't stay pristine and white for very long - maybe 2 cooks at best.

I was going to say that you're family will think you're crazy only until they've eaten your food - and now they've tried it, I bet they're changing their tune! Now, Dad's crazy like a fox!

Looks like you got your ribs right, but in the future, use the "bend test" to check for doneness. Only sure way, as time is not a good indicator. Grab the rack about 1/3 of the way from the end with your tongs, pick it up and give it a slight bounce. If you see it crack, like in this picture, they're done. Also, when the meat pulls back on the bones sticking out of the sides about 1/2" inch or so, is another sign of doneness.

bend_test.jpg.190ab5a6102b0db8f67d0fe4cfef5e06.jpg

Excellent choice of wines for BBQ. Big, spicy, reds like Zins and Syrahs are great with smoked meats. 

Edited by tony b
  • Like 3

got it - thanks.

Now on the sauces and rubs ...  we had some store bought Chris Lilly branded sauce (East Carolina type I think) - it was good.  My wife/kids like the sweeter Sweet Baby Rays.  I used a Webber Kansas City rub.

I am going to do some research on this forum and others and see if I can find some good recommendations to make my own.  Another part of the fun.

Cheers

I usually wear glasses these days, and I always get a face full of steam that fills my glasses when I open my grill during cooks.. This cloud of moisture will condense inside the grill and even pool sometimes on the lower lip..

You will find this very common and nothing to worry about. Best NOT to peek while cooking because you loose moisture every time you open..

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1