tony b

Purple Crack Bacon

Well, I finally got around to making another batch of bacon, but this time I used Purple Crack instead of the juniper berries called for by Ruhlman in his brine. All rubbed down and rested for a week.

59a5c8a526f9a_Bacon2017001.thumb.jpg.672b20f5f1f05f49dae14827f140bd90.jpg

Onto the KK for cold smoking. I initially had some charcoal going in the bottom of the KK to bring it up to 150F, but it eventually went out and I didn't bother relighting it. So, this was truly mostly a cold smoke. I used a combo of small pieces of Fruita wood chips and pellets. Both were a blend of fruit woods. Had a sheet of aluminum foil on the lower grate to be a heat shield. 

59a5ca16d3200_Bacon2017005.thumb.jpg.6d4e5bf76ba39317cf83869391c7a231.jpg

Tried the new trick of several lit small chunks of charcoal into the cold smoker - worked great, never went out, but I did tap the sides a couple of times which seemed to kickstart heavier smoke production when it started to wane. Total smoking time was 4 hours. 

59a5ca54e65ed_Bacon2017003.thumb.jpg.3e0c022fc6e19b63b3c7359f3d69f5d3.jpg

Rested overnight in the fridge wrapped in plastic. Then sliced up. 

59a5cacf27514_Bacon2003.thumb.jpg.c24cd4d4fcfbba7af8216f8fabc1e000.jpg

Can't wait for breakfast in the morning to try it out. 

• Like 6

Great looking bacon! I just cooked my first batch two weeks ago, using Chris Lilly’s hickory smoked maple black pepper bacon recipe. Looking forward to trying another with a less sweet profile.

Can someone tell me what purple crack is? I googled it, and found that it is a strain of cannabis. Are these the seeds used on your bacon?

5 hours ago, kravnh said:

Can someone tell me what purple crack is? I googled it, and found that it is a strain of cannabis. Are these the seeds used on your bacon?

Sorry, inside joke here on the Forum. Purple Crack are Tazmanian Pepperberries. AussieOra was kind enough to share some with a few of us here in the US, as they are very hard to come by, even in Australia. They have a tendency to turn food purple and are also quite addictive - hence, the name! 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, tony b said:

Sorry, inside joke here on the Forum. Purple Crack are Tazmanian Pepperberries. AussieOra was kind enough to share some with a few of us here in the US, as they are very hard to come by, even in Australia. They have a tendency to turn food purple and are also quite addictive - hence, the name! 

Ah, if only I had searched this forum instead of Google, I would have known! After my Google search, I thought, "isn't bacon wonderful enough without making it psychotropic?" 

giphy.gif

• Like 1