erik6bd

Peeling any ideas is this normal

I have no clue that's why I'm asking other KK owners

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Does the peeling look like the inside of the dome material or something else? Peel a piece off and rub it between your fingers, does it turn into ash/soot?

My betting is that it’s just the result of normal cooking gunk building up.

I may be totally wrong but that’s what it looks like to me.

I am sure Dennis will comment with more specific details.

Short answer - nothing to worry about - it is the white face skim he puts on the inside of all the grills to cover up the less-than attractive gray of the interior material.

This has happened to all 4 that i have owned - i just brushed it away before proceeding.

The actual refractory hot face is a very unattractive gray splotchy color.. The bottom of the grill has four bolts going to the rolling base these holes in the bottom are failed and covered with a simple white refractory plaster, it's use is primarily cosmetic..  We white wash and fill any divots or holes on the inside with this material also.  It's supposed to bond to the refractory hot face when heated to 600°..
There seems to be certain conditions, usually humidity related, which can cause it to come loose/delaminate which is what you're seeing..  This is a one time event, the loose material can be brushed away with a simple nylon brush.