ckreef

Hummingbird and Royal Oak Lump

While I was gone today Mrs skreef took a picture of a hummingbird. It landed on the porch next to a bag of Royal Oak Lump and tried to feed on the bar code. Silly hummingbird the feeders in its normal place in the garden. 

It was a very impromptu picture taken with her phone from a good ways back so not the clearest. Also if you look closely you can see 3 or 4 different spots where he pecked at the bar code. 

@MacKenzie I knew you would like this one. 

hummingbirdRO.thumb.jpg.52d6dea19584f22f59f4ab12f582ceb7.jpg

hummingbirdRO2.thumb.jpg.4968655dc60c901b704068d101d46dca.jpg

• Like 3

Hummingbirds don't crash unless it's into a piece of glass with woods reflected in it. Even if it dive Bombs straight at your face, don't move it'll never hit you although it'll come in so fast and close you think it's going to hit you. 

I believe It was just  sitting down on it's rump since it had nothin to grab onto with it's feet. She snapped a couple of pictures and having gotten no nectar out of the bag of lump it flew away. 

No worries I'll keep the feeders out for another month or so incase there are any on a late migration. 

• Like 2

I've read that they are attracted to the color red, which is why most feeders are that color and/or you put red colored food in them. Probably why it was attracted to the RO bag.

I haven't seen that many this year here. There was one flying about the neighbor's apple tree a couple of weeks ago, but that's been about it lately. 

• Like 1

Just as I posted that last one, the hummingbird reappeared on my deck last night while I was cooking. It was flitting about my basil plant, sipping on the flowers. Simultaneously, a field mouse was running around, with 2 babies on her back hanging on for dear life, as she scurried around my hop plant. Got a good look at her and her cheeks were stuffed to the gills! Was fun to watch all this activity while making dinner.

• Like 2

Neither did I until I saw it firsthand. One poor little guy/gal was swinging back and forth and I was just sure as anything that it was going to drop off, but it held on! I think that they're cute, until the Fall when they make themselves house guests and invade my pantry! Then the traps come out! 

Edited by tony b

I can tell you about hummingbirds. In 2015 my wife went through 110 lbs. of sugar making juice for them. She was making close to a gallon a day. I tell her they're not hummingbirds they're more like bumming herds. And Charles is right. They don't crash. Also the males don't migrate, they stay through the winter so keep one feeder available.

• Like 1

Something I find interesting - before tropical storm Irma came to town we had 3 or 4 hummingbirds left. Yesterday in the height of the storm a bunch of hummingbirds came back and were at the feeders doing their thing, torrential rain, crazy wind gusts and all. Didn't bother them a bit. This morning, now that the storm has past there are 10 or more hummingbirds buzzing around. 

Hurricane Irma birds.