Curly

Butts tonight

Tonight I'm putting 2 pork butts on. I was hoping to cook something else tomorrow also, but tomorrow night we are going to a Japanese place with our Sunday School class for our Christmas dinner :shock: So I doubt I'll cook again til Sunday. So later on I'll post some pics of the process.

They were rubbed down good last night with a medley of different stuff. I have a spice jar that I dump leftovers in when another jar runs low. I use a lot of Dizzy Pigs stuff so it's mostly their products. Then I slathered them with cheap yella mustard and shook a bunch more rub on top of the mustard. I like a good tough bark on my butts. They have been sitting in the fridge since last night and I'll take them out a few hours before I put them on the grill. When I do a low-n-slow I start the grill a few hours early and get it stabilized at the 225'ish mark. I'll stick them on at about 9 or 10 pm tonight and pull them off when they reach 190 or so, then wrap them with tin foil and towels and put them in a cooler to rest.

I'll but them on the main grill direct as I usually do, that also guarentees me a good outer bark :D . My dogs will be barking for bits of bark tomorrow sometimes...settle down Chubby boy, it's a coming now :D

Butt pics

Here they are prepped after I took them out of the fridge.

100_1625.jpg

I tried to stick a nu-temp temp gauge through the thermometer hole but it wouldn't fit so I trusted this dude to hold a good temp all night...and it did not fail me. Went to bed at 225 (11:00pm) and took this pic about 8:00am the next morning. Not bad for a refurbbed little Gypsy huh?

100_1626.jpg

Here's what they look like after about 12 hours. I have yet to get a thermometer in them...think I better do that soon :oops:

100_1627.jpg

I told Chubby we were gonna soon be eaten good and he thought we were going out so he went in and put some clothes on. Dang him, he chewed another tail hole in one of my best pair of drawers :shock:

100_1616.jpg

100_1618.jpg

100_1623.jpg

Re: Experienced Noob Question

Is that grill your Butt's are on part of the KK package? It wasn't in mine which I have had 9 days.

Thanks in advance and my your butts are fine looking....Beautiful!

twharton

That looks like remnants of a past grill!

Dennis' current upper grill is fixed leg with curved foot, which comes out to the edge so there is more usable space under them. It also has handles on the top. And is it reversible so it can be an upper grill or flip it and use it as a sear grill.

-=Jasen=-

OK I figured it wasn' OEM but...

And is it reversible so it can be an upper grill or flip it and use it as a sear grill.

Flip it and place it where, as the bottom grill just above the firebox? Why. It fits the same as the lower.

Do I place it handles down on top of the lowe grill? What does that serve to do?

I guess I'm just dense :smt017

Sorry and thanks for enlightenment in advance.

I'm cooking brined free range chickies later today....much later as it's 5:20 a.m.....and will post photos!

twharton

Gulf Breeze, FL

"Where thousands live the way millions wish they could"

Re: OK I figured it wasn' OEM but...

And is it reversible so it can be an upper grill or flip it and use it as a sear grill.

Flip it and place it where, as the bottom grill just above the firebox? Why. It fits the same as the lower.

Do I place it handles down on top of the lowe grill? What does that serve to do?

If you flip it, the handles will not get in the way of placing it on the supports of the charcoal basket. Then it can serve as a very close sear grill.

-=Jasen=-

Re: OK I figured it wasn' OEM but...

If you flip it, the handles will not get in the way of placing it on the supports of the charcoal basket. Then it can serve as a very close sear grill.

-=Jasen=-

In my case (with shorter than the now standard lump basket handles) the upper/sear grill handles/legs, sit on the fire box ring.

T dub, this thread may shed some light - the evolution of the accessory. http://www.komodokamado.com/forum/viewt ... sear+grill

No after pics.

Well darn. I took one of the butts outta the cooler an pulled it and we ate away and then I foodsavered what was left. We were to hungry to take any pics.

I was gonna take pics of the second one. Then my mother-in-law came over (she prolly saw the smoke) and made me give her the second one...well, cause I love her so much...and she's the one that taught her purdy daughter how to helicopter me :shock: .

So, no after pics :roll:

Re: No after pics.

So, no after pics :roll:

Sounds like it got away from you - I haven't posted any pictures of my failures either :lol: ....... I will give you credit for the creative M-I-L story. :smt041

Dude, you can't mess up a butt, good try though. But for that DJ humor, from now on you have ta have pics from each cook or you will be accused of failed cooks too :? Or worse even...no cooks :wink:

No pics? Never happened...

OK, OK, I'll go wid dat. But there is a pic above of them after 12 hours. The night has past, I'm awake now, nothing could happen.

But if the laws are that harsh, I'll just accept the demerit (eat another bowl of pulled pork) and move on. Just remember council, the laws apply to all cooks, even those of our civil servants :D. Some may be judged more harshly because they wrote the law :shock:

Dude, you can't mess up a butt, good try though. But for that DJ humor, from now on you have ta have pics from each cook or you will be accused of failed cooks too :? Or worse even...no cooks :wink:

Touche - I think I've supplied the proper photo-documentation for my alleged cooks - however, I suspect I have been guilty of not always photoing the 'before'. :oops:

Touche - I think I've supplied the proper photo-documentation for my alleged cooks - however, I suspect I have been guilty of not always photoing the 'before'. :oops:

Which prolly means you messed them up and then went and bought something cooked from a real BBquer. Prolly one a yer neighbors from Souf Kerlina :D

Unhuhh, it hurts don't it dude, when somebody talks about yer cookin like it ain't even there :? . Now you know what I been going through all day.

Now apolagize...and we'll be friends agin :D

Sometimes it's a good rule. I mean no pics/didn't happen could get you out of quite a jam, huh? "What do you mean, honey? I came right home from work. You din't see pics of me at that bar, did you?" ;)

Actually, the pics to prove the cookin ARE there! Wait til family Christmas picture, and check out how we all need new clothes - in a larger size. Proof we've been cookin. :oops: