shishitos

About to order a 32.. How do move this thing?

Is the ground level or nearly so? If so, the common technique is to leapfrog with sheets of plywood, rolling it gradually. If there is a grade involved, as there was in my case, then the proper technique is to augment the leapfrog with four Army ROTC cadets from a nearby university, cooking them a steak dinner as their reward. 

Edited by Pequod
  • Like 2

Anyway  congratulations on getting a BB32  you were going to love it. Don't forget to take plenty of pictures as you move it into the backyard and on your first cook. We love pictures, welcome to the site. When you uncrate it there are actually some blue straps that are attached to the bottom of it that you could use a lift it up. But you will need a couple Godzilla to do it.

If your ground is mostly level, best not to overthink it. Just get the plywood sheets and start rolling.

I overthought movement of my 23" (mostly due to the grade). Even went so far as to call in-home, hourly movers. They quoted me $1,000 to bubble wrap it, then lift the KK into my backyard with four burly men. I pointed out it has wheels. NOPE! Bubble wrap and four burly men is the only way, they claimed. Anything else is UNSAFE. Obviously, I couldn't help but laugh out loud on the phone, raising protests and choice words from the other end. For the 23" -- one Army ROTC, myself, and two sheets of plywood got it done...SAFELY.

I recently moved my 23 to the back yard with my brother and it went fine, ramp and all. Get help, plan it out, 2 sheets of 1/2 in plywood will do. If I'm not mistaken it appears the 32 has a wider base with the wheels than the 23 so it should feel stable when moving, if that is of concern to you. The straps you mentioned are securing your KK to the pallet, one per leg. Level ground is a plus.

I had a steep grade, a flight of stairs, used heavy equipment and got creative on the stairs with plywood sheathing on the treads and rolled it down the slope with a chainfall arresting the fall of the KK 32.  It too myself and one other person.

Enjoy your new 32, it's one heck of a cooker!