LeadDog

First Impressions

Crate: The crate looked fine when it got to me and looked well built and able to protect the KK during shipment. I didn't need the crowbar to tear the crate apart but it is there if someone needs it. When the crate had the four sides removed I just made the base of the crate level with my patio and rolled it off, very easy.

Lid: I knew there would be a couple of adjustments to make for the lid so I found the included wrench and tightened the spring up so the lid opens almost fully open. Then I adjusted the latch so that the lid closes snugly. Really easy stuff to do.

Color: Ok I'm pushing pulling the cooker around and it just strikes me that this thing looks like a great big Golden Nugget. The color is perfect and all of the pictures you have seen of it just are not able to show what it is really like. People here like the color, it must be a California thing. :)

Parts: I put the parts in the KK and started thinking of the different ways to use them. They all fit just right like even a little bit snug.

Starting a fire: You know I sell firewood and charcoal but even then there are times that lighting a fire can be hard. This thing was so easy to light I couldn't believe it. I took three wadded up pieces of paper and put them under the basket and it took right off burning. I didn't know what to do for temperatures because of thermometer situation so I was trying different settings out. It looks cool with all of the smoke coming out of it. I finally stuck a thermometer through the prodder hole and saw a temp of 400 so I started cooking the chicken. The temp dropped to about 325 and I opened the top and got it up to 350. The dial on the draft door is wide open and the door is shoved into the cooker.

The first cook: I turned the chicken over at 30 mins and was amazed at how brown the top of it was, it was on the top rack. I cut a piece of chicken at 60 mins and juice just ran all over the place but it was still a little bit bloody. The chicken came out at 80 mins and was really great. I liked how it picked up the smoke flavor. :)

Thermometer: I brought the thermometer to work to day and checked it out to see how close it is to being on, it checks out fine. The stem on it just the right size for the thermometer hole but the hole needs to be cleaned out a little bit.

Now I can get down to some serious cooking. :)

Foil! On Ribs! Bah, that's for them folks with gas grills that dry everything out! Just cook at 225-240 for 4-6 hours - perfection! And sauce is a table condiment - leave it on the table! Though a nice dry shake should be applied while they are hot off the grill. I can also live the tin foil if you use it after cooking, place in a cooler while you are driving to a friends house to share - otherwise, them bad boys should be consumed immediately!

-=Jasen=-

I did foil once and they were really too fall-off-the bone for me so I don't do that anymore. But I have become a fan of mopping with a sweet sauce...not to moisturize (we have the best cooker for keeping things moist) just to cook that flavor in.

Don't worry about DJ, he thinks everyone should be just like him, he's never left that little ole place he was born at and ain't aware that there are differnt preferences than his. :roll:

He's alright though...once you get used to him :D

Don't worry about DJ, he thinks everyone should be just like him, he's never left that little ole place he was born at and ain't aware that there are differnt preferences than his. :roll:

He's alright though...once you get used to him :D

What do you mean other preferences!!!! It is my way or the highway!! Get it! :twisted: hehehe Bite me Curly; it's called Memphis style dry? Ever heard of that place?

-=Jasen=-

It was my first cook ever in a ceramic cooker you expect me to have a good reason? :) The charcoal bowl was filled almost to the top of the handles. I didn't want to break/burn up something on the first cook by doing something stupid. I knew I had the means by which to get the HD away from the coals and still get the job done so I took what I thought was the safe route.

Hey you guys! You know those ribs I'm unthawing? They are venison. I don't think I'm going to be following any of your advice. :) It has started to rain here so I guess I get to sit inside while the meat cooks tomorrow. It was so cool last night to set a timer and come back and check the chicken instead of having to watch it all the time to keep it from burning.

Dog, I've put my HD directly on the lump since the beginning (when the pile exceeded the height of the basket) Dennis tells me that stuff is indestructible, at least that's how I understood it!! I don't think I'd take it from a pile of hot lump and dump it in water, but he did tell me I could put it on hot lump when it was cold with no problem - didn't you Dennis?