shishitos

32 Big Bad coming,..newbie questions....BGE owner

There is a one-time burn in process detailed in the owner's manual Dennis will send you by email. 

Not a BGE user, but had a Kamado Joe. Night and day difference. You'll see.

Use whatever lump you're used to. No issues. Dennis' charcoals are on another level if you can get them. 

The BB32 is ultra flexible, so configuration depends on what you mean by "standard" grilling. If you want two-zone, perfect for reverse sear, then I use the half grate on top and lowest level for the sear. Can't do that easily on a BGE. If you want to direct grill for longer times, like chicken or pork tenderloin, then I'll use the top grate direct. 

Welcome to the Obsession! I've never owned a BGE, but have cooked on them. You are about to be blown away by the night & day difference between a KK and a BGE.

You can do as many low & slow cooks as you want before the break-in. It's only required before you take the grill to high temperatures (above 450F). It's a simple procedure, but almost everyone sweats it the first time, so don't be afraid to ask questions. As Pequod noted, it's normally a one-time event. The key is to let it complete the process, which takes several hours. Sometimes folks don't finish it the first time and need to repeat it. No biggie. And, don't freak out, but expect some tiles to bulge out - it's normal and part of the process. It's why you're doing it - to vent the last of the solvent under the acrylic liner that the tiles are grouted to.

You can stick to the charcoal that you already like. If it's not too late, get Dennis to load up your pallet with as many boxes of CocoChar and Coffee Wood as it will hold. Best price point you'll ever get on it. Stuff is dynamite on low & slow cooks. 

I own a 23" and I know from others here that the BB 32" has more grill configurations than mine (ex. half grates.) So, once you get ready to cook, just ask questions. It's a very friendly Forum and we're glad to help you get started. 

Now, on to the important questions - what color/style tile did you get? What accessories did you order? And, don't forget the MOST important thing - PICTURES! We LOVE to see pictures of new grills being uncrated in their new homes and that all important virgin cook!  

• Thanks 1

If you've ordered a 32", I can't recommend the coco char enough, you can piggy back it on your grill crate, essentially free shipping. There's nothing wrong with any other lump, but the coco has almost no odor, so whatever wood you're in the mood for, you taste the wood.

The main grill level will be obvious, but a 32" gives so many options, you decide.

There is an actual burn in, I recommend getting the instructions from Dennis, additionally, there are plenty of experienced owners on the forum more than willing to offer advice.

Mostly, welcome to kk ownership, you've made a great choice!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ordered a 32 Cobalt Regular ( loved Pebble but figured it was more work if it lost a tile) I think I got the standard accessories....side tables, cover, roti basket....pizza stones were sold out.  

Been a Big Green Egg guy for awhile so I'm eager to move up to the big dude. :) plenty of pics to follow when it gets delivered ...thanks guys.  

• Like 1

Congratulations on the 32", it's a great cooking system. I bought the same size and color a couple of months ago and it's a very impressive cooker. 

One option I use on every cook is the basket splitter, it never leaves the basket. I just adjust it depending on the cook.

great forum and lots of good reading in the archives. As others have said, welcome to the show ...