ckreef

Hurricane Irma Fixed My Ice Maker

Not exactly but sort of. 

Some of you might remember me posting about me breaking my ice maker in a fairly new really high end refrigerator (read that as really expensive). When it happened I was pissed as hell but it was all my fault. 

Anyway Hurricane Irma came along and I lost electricity for a few days. The refrigerator got a full cleaning out. Before the electricity came back on I took my ice maker apart and retrieved the warped plastic piece that was causing the ice maker not to work. I took a hair dryer to it to soften the plastic. I bent it back into the correct shape then trimmed about 1/4" off of one edge (it was a screwed up design from the get go as far as I was concerned). Put it all back together and when the electricity came back on I turned on the ice maker. 

Well my $6k ice maker is working once again. I won't really know how the fix/modification worked out for another month or two but I have my fingers crossed. For now I have ice again. 

• Like 5

Good news!

Redhead Sue's ice maker in a top-of-the-line refrigerator quit working & flashed a code on the display and she called for warranty service.  I waited for the service guy to show up and talked to him while he was working on it.

He told me that all the gears inside her ice maker were plastic and just one small ice jam can strip all the teeth off of them.  And they don't sell the replacement parts. He had to replace the entire unit in his personal refrigerator because no parts were available.  He said it was very sad as ice jams are very common.

Sue lucked out only because she didn't try to use the ice maker when the code started to flash.  He was able to clean it out and reset the shutoff sensor.

She also had a code flashing for the "outside ambient temp sensor".  He recommended not doing anything about it, as it would require replacing the main computer board, which was not under warranty.............$1,000!!!!!! 

Not a nice way to mess with people's pocketbooks..................................................   

Edited by Jon B.
  • Sad 1

Hear yah, Jon! My last fridge had a design flaw in the damper assembly that regulated the air flow from the freezer to the fridge (side-by-side). First time it broke, the repairman was able to just replace the plastic damper part that broke. Next time, the replacement part was the entire assembly - only way to get the part now. So, obviously the repair cost shot up like crazy and it made the repair harder, not easier! So, when the same thing happened the 3rd time - bailed out and bought a new fridge. The old one was 13 years old; it was time. 

• Like 1