LeadDog

Ribs are on!

Ok started the fire this morning and got the cooker warmed up then put these ribs on.

PC090500.JPG

We have always cooked ribs cut apart so I thought I would try cooking them first then cutting them apart. I put a handful of wine soaked oak staves on top of the coals and closed the lid.

It was a nice and steady 225° for a long time then it started to climb so I just closed it down a little bit.

PC090499.JPG

Ribs are off.

I love how the smoke fills the air when you open the lid.

PC090503.JPG

The meat thermometer said 180° so I said you are out of there!

PC090504.JPG

There was one rib that was still a little bit rare that I saw, the rest were just right. It took about 2:30 hours to cook the ribs. Everyone liked them. :) Next time I'm going to cook them hotter because I like that flavor better.

Yes that is venison. I'll have to try a different method next time as the ribs were dried out some from doing it this way. I have been doing some reading and have a few ideas I'll try. I know in the old steel cooker I seared them and cooked them hot and fast.

Do deer ribs tend to be drier? If so, do the 3-2-1 method.

3 hrs indirect

2 hrs with foil on them (this will definately make them juicy)

1hr direct (unfoiled)

Deer ribs tend to be juicy. The 321 method might work in a modified form. The ribs I cooked above might not of had any fat on them, this happens sometimes. The fat on deer is in layers and not marbled like beef. I'm thinking that searing them and then finishing them up high. The other problem is the meat on the small ribs is thin while the meat on the large ribs is thick. I just have to think about what I was doing on the steel cooker and apply this to the KK. Cooking at 225 for 2.5 hours wasn't the way to go but I still have lots of ribs to practice on. :)

Deer ribs tend to be juicy. The 321 method might work in a modified form. The ribs I cooked above might not of had any fat on them' date=' this happens sometimes. The fat on deer is in layers and not marbled like beef. I'm thinking that searing them and then finishing them up high. The other problem is the meat on the small ribs is thin while the meat on the large ribs is thick. I just have to think about what I was doing on the steel cooker and apply this to the KK. Cooking at 225 for 2.5 hours wasn't the way to go but I still have lots of ribs to practice on. :)[/quote']

Actually it's supposed to be 3-1-1 I believe, 2 hrs in foil would prolly turn them to mush.

But maybe 1/2 hr of foiling would do it in your shorter cook time, just be sure to let that be a middle step, they need some fire after that.

...any health concerns inherent to rare venison?

I had to surf around to give a meaningful answer: all I see are a few isolated incidences of Toxoplasmosis and that nasty Taco Bell E coli. The former can be killed by freezing the meat for 2 weeks prior to cooking. The latter... well just dress and process cleanly and cook the stuff a little more.

What I haven't seen mentioned is the emerging BSE like disease of deer: Chronic Wasting Disease. The former causes the horrible and always fatal Crutzfeld Jacob (sp?) disease in people and cannot be fully eliminated even by the harshest cooking methods. If ever there is any sort of linkage of a similar syndrome to ingestion of deer meat.. wow.*

*I'm just speculating wildly here. These days, I have little knowledge of this stuff beyond what pops up on a Google page. In fact, I should have checked wikipedia before posting, but I'm running late. :roll: