MacKenzie

Up Late Watching My Plant Flower

You read that correctly, my Night Blooming Cereus blossomed tonight and my neighbours even came to watch it. It started swell in the early evening and by 8 the petals started to flare out and it was fully open by 11:30. When I get up tomorrow it will be hanging like a limp rag. The blossom is probably 8 inches in diameter.

59cc6613a3580_NightBloomingCereus.thumb.jpg.f96a51afdff3a3de6e586b823caa9c0b.jpg

• Like 5

Very Nice how long did wait for it to bloom?
The bud started a couple of weeks ago. It gets longer and longer over the time and a few days before it is going to open it makes a 90 degree turn running parallel to the floor, then in a few days it starts to swell and then you know it is nearing bloom time. Watch it all evening as the petals start to spread. The final opening takes about 3 to 4 hours. It then slowly starts to wither.:(
  • Like 1

On ‎9‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 6:45 PM, MacKenzie said:

The bud started a couple of weeks ago. It gets longer and longer over the time and a few days before it is going to open it makes a 90 degree turn running parallel to the floor, then in a few days it starts to swell and then you know it is nearing bloom time. Watch it all evening as the petals start to spread. The final opening takes about 3 to 4 hours. It then slowly starts to wither.:(

Sounds like this is a passion of yours. I know people that collect and love orchids by the dozens. Would this be an orchid? How many times will it bloom?  And you must keep that prize in a cozy room...