Grant

New 32 arrives

After much anticipation, the new 32 terra blue arrived yesterday.  I had hoped to get several pictures of the uncrating process, but my father in law and the delivery guy were pretty anxious to see the contents as well.  Hope to get the first cook going this afternoon.  

DarkTerraBlue32.jpeg

5B04F8AB-A18C-4F67-B0EB-053E2B01F125.thumb.jpeg.e2710883311a5450b81eeb3468587a5a.jpeg

• Like 2

Congrats on getting the 32 I love the color you picked just stunning... 

That piece i thought went on charcoal basket for stones /slabs for indirect cooking someone that owns a 32 or Dennis will chime in soon

Again congrats 

Edited by Stile88

Unfortunately I didn’t get a chance to cook on the new KK tonight, but I did load it with charcoal to do a little practice burn.   I used the last of a remaining bag of lump I had on hand and filled the basket.   It was smaller pieces than I typically like to use, but I had to leave the damper open more than I would have suspected to maintain a target of 250.   I opened the top about a quarter of a turn and had to keep the bottom left damper open almost half way.  It held temps for 5 hours before I shut it down, but I just felt the bottom damper was open more than it should be to maintain 250.   I’ve been cooking on ceramic kamado grills for about six years, but I guess I still need a little practice to figure out temperature control for the KK.   

The stainless piece is something unique to the 32, mine is a 23, and I don’t have anything like that.

It sounds like you nailed 250°, so stick with that. You can pretty much go as high as 400° ish without adjusting the bottom differently. The top is the only adjustment you really need as far as maintaining any temp. Opening the bottom mostly gets you to higher temps more quickly.

I suggest you start with a full load of coal, set your bottom vent where you had it, and experiment. This requires some time, and some beverage of your choice, and something forgiving to cook, if you care to.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

As Robert said, the main effect is from the top vent. But the bottom vent controls how much charcoal is burning (i.e., air inflow). If you want to ramp up quickly, then open it a lot. Once you get to within 50F of your target temperature, you can dial the bottom vent back to conserve charcoal. The KK is very efficient, so once you're at target temperatures, it doesn't take a lot of air flow to maintain it. 

I ran it again this evening with the remaining charcoal with much different results.   I understand what you mean in regards to the top damper adjustment you and Robert mention.   I was able to run consistent temperatures from 225 to 350 with adjustment of just the top damper.  It was much easier to control today.  

I also noticed that the first burn yesterday resulted in a lot of moisture accumulating around the bottom damper on the front and the side as well as the top.  It was dripping continuously, but today I didn’t see any.   Maybe it had some moisture built up that resulted in a cooling effect as it heated making it harder to control the temperature.   Just a guess, but again it was much easier to control today.

I still have no idea about the stainless piece pictured above, but I sent an email to Dennis.  I’m sure he will let me know soon.