Shuley

Spinning a rib roast.

2 hours ago, DJM said:

Perhaps a dumb question, but how did you get the charcoal basket to fit with the basket splitter going left to right? With my 23", the basket doesn't fit that way into the firebox.  The basket is 1/2" wider in that direction so doesn't completely seat itself down on the ledge.  If that makes sense.

You can turn the whole basket. Since it is round, you can orient the basket to use the divider any way that you want. That was a pretty big selling point to me for the 23

Just like me to speak quickly and use the wrong words. Let me clear the woods as they say, The basket has the best fit with the handles on the left and right side of the KK. When repositioning the basket with the handles north and south the basket doesn't seat well. It doesn't come fully down to rest on the refractory surface, instead it sits up approx. 1/2 to 1 inch above. I can squeeze it down but, I will be setting a groove in the refractory. If yours has this condition, I think just means that all things round aren't perfectly round. Take a tape measure and check the diameter in different spots. Good luck. No big thing it's just a chicken wing.

Both the charcoal baskets for my one year old 23" have the same issue. They fit correctly with the handles running front to back (on the left and right, using Tyrus' wording) but are 3/8" and 1/2", respectively, out of round and therefore too wide to seat in the firebox correctly when turned 90 degrees (so the charcoal splitter is parallel to the front) as in Shuley's picture. I haven't yet bought the rotisserie so having the splitter only on the left or right side hasn't become an issue. 

After reading this thread, I put my splitter basket in a long clamp to squeeze down the wide part across the basket. There is significant rebound in the steel (Darn it, Dennis!), but I'll see if it redistributes the wide part just enough to fit at 90 degrees in the firebox after a few days in the clamp. Otherwise, I'll have to scrape off part of the firebox rim to get it to fit when I finally get a rotisserie. 

Jon

Spoke with Dennis today and he came up with a simple solution.  Turn the basket on its side, place the upper ring on a hard surface (the ground works great) and hit the area that doesn't fit with a rubber mallet.  Did this a few times in several areas and it fits just fine now.  Thanks everyone for the feedback!