FotonDrv

A Serious Gate.maybe "The Ninth Gate"?

While living out in the sticks for over 20 years we had our wooden gates destroyed by chainsaw, truck or whatever method a deviant could conceive.  So after much though I build a gate that was almost indestructible.

The concrete columns are 20" in diameter poured at the same time as the the 6ftx6ftx18" thick footings that were then surrounded with mortared in place rock.  If a truck tried to push the columns over their front tires would be on the footing they were trying to remove; a non-starter...

The 8" diameter cross arm was steel tube filled with concrete and 3 2oft lengths of 1/2" rebar and the counter weight end was all poured at the same time, as was the adjustable counter balance.

There was a hardened steel rod (5yd truck axle) embedded in the turntable end that stuck up into the pivot point maybe 8".  The pivot was 2 steel plates that had a machined race for tank turret ball bearings to make it move smoothly.

Once it was all built we lifted the cross arm and placed it with a D-5 sized bulldozer since the cross arm weighed a bit more than 5,000 LB.  It moved much like a very heavy vault door, if you have ever had the chance to play with one of those.  It would be similar to moving a larger KK.

No gate problems after that install :-)

SeriousGate.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_1ec.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_12c.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_b4.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_1cd.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_2ea.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_7c.jpeg

• Like 4

A very well built gate and formidable looking.  I remember when I was younger and had a Jeep, if I ran into an obstacle as that I would attempt to run around it.  If I may ask, Did you extend anything like a stone wall on both sides or are the woods thick enough to dissuade a trespasser?  How long did it take to build your architectural marvel ?

Tyrus, there was a very steepslope, more of a drop off, on the hinge end and there was a corresponding uphill grade on the latch end.  It was a logging road built around the early 1900’s to haul logs to steam powered high lead logging equipment.  The home site was an old landing site for ferrying logs in the air to the railhead 2 miles downhill.   A motorcycle could go around on the foot path or be dragged under the gate but the biggest deterrent from that was myself and my 2 german shepherds.  

The community warranted a secure awareness and that was proven many times of the 20+ years i lived there withe a neighbor (a college professor) who murdered his wife and chopped off her head and left it a mile away.  Byanother neighbor whose wife chased him around the home and property blowing holes in everything with a shotgun, the other neighbors shooting at a person who was on his property trying to steal pot, which was illegal to grow at the time.  Security was essential in such a seemingly bucolic setting, and when first seen it lulled you into a very tranquil complacency until it hit the fan

This was the landing site.

19F98B35-DD05-4054-99EE-1B7ECBD3DCEB.jpeg

46 minutes ago, MacKenzie said:

Foton, you have such interesting neighbours. They will keep you on your toes. :) 

They WERE, we moved because of my deteriorating health and need for better healthcare than a hangnail clinic.  A few of the neighbors knew me well enough to know I was an Army combat veteran and liked me, the rest thought there was a crazy person living up there and it was best to not mess around with that person who lived there; possibly a correct assumption.  Of all my immediate neighbors I was the only one to get any permits for anything so the neighbors could not complain about what I was doing on this property.

This is the compound I built.  It was possible to travel east 35 miles, north 90 miles and south 6 miles without hitting another road.  2 miles west was a paved road and a general store.

Previous Home_2.jpg

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Tyrus said:

Nice friendly neighbors. Yep, two German shepherds should be adequate. I hope things have mellowed for you now, paradise is hard to find.

Yep, paradise is indeed elusive :-) , I currently have an easier life but much condensed going from 20 acres to 1/4 acre and a much more noisy, urban life.  Only 1 GSD now, not 2, who is a great alarm system and a continual source of entertainment and companionship for my wife and me.

IMG_2277.JPG

Edited by FotonDrv
added photo

My first thought after reading your original post describing the design and seeing the pictures was "major weak link in that padlock," but there was method to your madness, as you stated later. 

Seriously nice looking dog, but I don't think that I'd want to piss him off! 

Yes, intentionally weak.  Not positioned to be able to get bolt cutters on it but a torch would defeat it.  The lock in the photo was switched to a more robust one once Icould source one.

the doggy is number 6, the two previous ones are pictured here with an ex girlfriend while on a walk.

44D20C10-B81A-4488-BA48-D7016EA8F5C8.jpeg

Edited by FotonDrv
Added text