tony b

I have a perfect butt!

Started a 7.5 lb, bone in, pork butt this morning (7:30 am) on the KK, indirect @ 250F (with Guru), with the smoker pot loaded with peach and pecan. Injected with a dozen Seasoning Stix - 4 Garlic, 4 Sriracha Garlic, and 4 Blend X and rubbed with mustard & Dizzy Pig Crossroads - rested overnight.

I had hoped that it would be done in time for me to go to the hockey game tonight. Plan was to wrap in foil, beach towel, and into the cooler until I got home to pull it. However, when my friend arrived at 4:45 pm to go to dinner before the game, the butt was sitting @ 175F. Dilemma - take it off the smoker and wrapped it and hope that it finishes (target IT was 200F); or, let it go and cross my fingers that I don't come home to jerky? So, I rolled the dice and let it ride.

Got home from the game around 9:30 pm to find the butt sitting at 199F - Woo, Hoo!! Perfect Butt!!!! Sometimes it pays to be lucky more than it does to be good!!

• Like 6

7 hours ago, 5698k said:

No pics....didn’t happen.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Says the man who never posts pictures! Sorry, Robert, but I gave up trying to compete with the likes of Charles and MacKenzie ages ago when it comes to food photography. I only post pics if it's critical to the discussion. In this case, it's just another pork butt. 

Sorry, MacKenzie, it's all pulled and into zip bags in the freezer - except for one small bag I'm eating out of, like for breakfast this morning with 2 fried eggs on top - excellent. 

14 hours ago, Aussie Ora said:

I can't seem to get the flour mix right

Outback kamado Bar and Grill

I struggled for a while, too, Aussie, since I'm not a baker and not used to working with dough. But, with practice, I finally got it down pretty well. One thing that I did learn is that it doesn't take as much water as you think it should, but make sure that you mix it well so you don't have pockets of dry flour. Just keep plugging away at it - practice makes perfect, as they say.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, tony b said:

Says the man who never posts pictures! Sorry, Robert, but I gave up trying to compete with the likes of Charles and MacKenzie ages ago when it comes to food photography. I only post pics if it's critical to the discussion. In this case, it's just another pork butt. 

Sorry, MacKenzie, it's all pulled and into zip bags in the freezer - except for one small bag I'm eating out of, like for breakfast this morning with 2 fried eggs on top - excellent. 

Tony, this is not a competition and I'm sure we all have a great imagination. :) Even a pix of pulled pork in a zip bag would be appealing. :) It is never too late. 

• Like 1

I can rationalize a bit with Tony.   I have thought of posting some pictures of cooks, and then realized they were far short of the Mackenzie quality we have come to expect!  

My first pixs were pretty bad and I have every confidence that your will be better. So get that camera out and start shooting.

• Like 1