MacKenzie

Turning Corned Beef Into Pastrami

At least that is my hope. I saw this piece of corned beef in the grocery store and thought I might be able to do something with it. It has been washed out with 4 water changes over a period of 11 hours.

5a0f967bbf7cd_LookingaLittleAnemic.thumb.jpg.fef9ba6d0fefcfcb1368b4f401523410.jpg

Dried off and ready to add spices.

5a0f968119170_ReadytoAddtheSpices.thumb.jpg.a980d8456a540008c0a3460c9c1b5276.jpg

5a0f9684c6435_SpicesPressedIntoMeat.thumb.jpg.3de1b958e2bec5303b3cebec1c298769.jpg

In the SV bag.

5a0f9678b5df8_CoatedWithSpices.thumb.jpg.ee0921b20a6c8b57d48976b39449df8c.jpg

Vacuum sealed.

5a0f9688bb701_VacuumedSealed.thumb.jpg.75cee5ddfe4df683329bd302a7063193.jpg

In the SV bath for the next 48 hours.

5a0f96f772d62_BeefIsIntheSVBath.thumb.jpg.21e2fba22e3c49ec2a4ed5b1213762df.jpg

Come back in a couple of days and see how things are going. :) 

• Like 1

The spices look good, I am also anticipating the cook.  Recently jumped on board with the purchase of a sous vide but when I emersed it in water and made the necessary settings the darn machine kept climbing in temp, and wouldn't shut at the set temp. I sent it back and will order another kind, I see you have a poly science. I read somewhere that the owner of this company collaborated with the inventor of sous vide cooking in order to make his version of the cooker. Anyhow I may order one of theirs and try again. Good luck, although you probably don't need it

Just curious as to which brand you bought that you had trouble with? And, what did you replace it with? 

I have one of the original Anova's, with the latest version (Nano) on order. I also own a Primo Eats model that has become my everyday one (smaller) - https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MTV4EQ7. The original Anova is mostly used in my homebrewing to heat my sparge water to the exact temperature that I need. The new Anova on order will be used in the kitchen, as it's nice to have 2 machines for doing different temperature cooks (like having 2 KKs). I've not had any problems with either of my units so far. I bought this model for my nephew for his birthday, as he was interested in learning about SV cooking and it was on-sale on cyber Monday last year. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M6AZ8CL Once he got the hang of it, he's not had any problems with his either and is falling in love with SV cooks. 

Nice, MacKenzie. That's how I've done my pastrami in the past - buy a pre-brined corned beef, rinse it, season it and then smoke it. I didn't wash mine as much as you, but I wanted to retain a touch of the original flavor. Are you planning to smoke yours after the SV is done? 

Tyrus, I do have a poly science. Actually when I bought it none of the others were on the market. There were no free standing ones and I didn't want to be confined the water bath type. I thought it was too limiting. I am kind of eyeing the Joule except not sure I like the idea of having to have my phone or tablet handy. It is the only way you can control it. Still thinking.;) 

BTW, I can always use some good luck, thanks.:)

Tony. I am thinking about smoking it after the sous vide process is done. :) 

Edited by MacKenzie

9 hours ago, tony b said:

Just curious as to which brand you bought that you had trouble with? And, what did you replace it with? 

I have one of the original Anova's, with the latest version (Nano) on order. I also own a Primo Eats model that has become my everyday one (smaller) - https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MTV4EQ7. The original Anova is mostly used in my homebrewing to heat my sparge water to the exact temperature that I need. The new Anova on order will be used in the kitchen, as it's nice to have 2 machines for doing different temperature cooks (like having 2 KKs). I've not had any problems with either of my units so far. I bought this model for my nephew for his birthday, as he was interested in learning about SV cooking and it was on-sale on cyber Monday last year. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M6AZ8CL Once he got the hang of it, he's not had any problems with his either and is falling in love with SV cooks. 

I bought the Souvia brand after looking over the comments about it on Amazon & I gave it a go. Unfortunately, things didn't work out as planned. I haven't bought a second because I was waiting for the return shipping and refund. Now my brother, is on his second Anova, the first one had a failure with the pump and Anova covered it. The second Anova is experiencing a similar problem with the circulator motor again but, hasn't fully died. I'm stuck because as I looked over the reviews for the Poly it only received 3 stars. The Joule may be my course of action however, it is becoming a process. BUT as you know I'm retired and research time is an investment I have plenty of. Oh, and if Mac is reading this... I saw a video on YouTube under {sous vide everything] where these 3 Spanish gents {friends}, did a 14 lb brisket but, they did the smoking first for three hours and then placed it in the sous vide double bagged later.   They also do a comparison of 4 sous vides under three working uses and I found it helpful. If you haven't seen them...they are a trip.

I believe the PolyScience received only 3 stars because it is a workhorse without the bells and whistles of Bluetooth, WiFi, etc.otherwise it would have been top rated..It is the most durable. If you click on the "read our review" button for the PolyScience Creative you will see this.

I won't be getting the Joule any time soon as the Canada ready version won't be shipping until March 2018.

I must check out the YouTube videos you mentioned. Thanks.

I bought the Anova WiFi on pre-order before it was released. I'd think that was about 2 years ago and I use it all the time. 

For a few months, I made yogurt every weekend for smoothies during the week. About 2 months ago, we switched to eating steel cut oatmeal for breakfasts. I use the Anova to make those every weekend now.

Oh, I also cook some steaks, chicken, pork chops, etc from time to time. ;) Our favorite SV cook is steak. I also did one long pork butt cook and it was incredible. One of these days, I'll try a brisket.

I use the WiFi, but not a lot. I like that I can use the Anova without the WiFi or Bluetooth if I want, but that wouldn't put me off getting a Joule. I always have my phone handy, so I don't need the onboard controls.

Anova recently re-added the ice bath mode to their app. I want to try it, but haven't had the opportunity. That's where the WiFi option will shine.

And yes, if you are interested in SV, the Sous Vide Everything YouTube channel is amaaaaazing. ;) I've learned a lot from those guys. 

A friend of mine's original model Anova pooped out on him, too. He upgraded to the 2.0 version (Bluetooth) and hasn't had any issues with it yet. Mine's still going strong (fingers crossed now that I've said that!), but it only gets used infrequently in my brewing room (like today after I get off of this Forum.) Their Nano model has been pushed back until late spring of next year due to supply chain problems. In the meantime, the Primo Eats is my workhorse in the kitchen. Used it yesterday to do a steak for dinner. 

6 hours ago, tony b said:

Anova pooped out on him, too. He upgraded to the 2.0 version (Bluetooth) and hasn't had any issues with it yet. Mine's still going strong (fingers crossed now that I've said that!), but it only gets used infrequently in my brewing room (like today after I get off of this Forum.) Their Nano model has been pushed back until late spring of next year due to supply chain problems. In the meantime, the Primo Eats is my workhorse in the kitchen. Used it yesterday to do a steak for dinner. 

Macys.com is selling a Crux sous vide for 72$ regularly sold for 144$.  It doesn't have the wifi and that's good for me so, tomorrow I'll take the trip and make another plunge. I'm beginning to think it's a hit or miss on quality, who knows, it's not like buying the KK so, take a chance. It does have a two year warranty. Roll the dice, will see. Anyhow enjoy the brew!

The transformation has taken place and the pastrami is just out of the sous vide bath. :)

First slice -

5a12465d803d4_FirstSlice.thumb.jpg.bd004db201f0d8d901057f32a2f71373.jpg

Second slice -

Pastrami.thumb.jpg.a0cd6430547ea13d074523305e050f56.jpg

5a1246670b52b_SliceofPastrami.thumb.jpg.9af85c7a2987c6b29e9bf0c1779f6cde.jpg

Can't wait until tomorrow when it has cooled. :)

I did bump up the temp. from 136F to 138F and took it out of the water bath after 49 hours, seemed to be perfect texture and tenderness. :) 

Edited by MacKenzie
  • Like 3