Bruce Pearson

HAPPY THANKSGIVING

5 hours ago, tony b said:

Sorry to hear about all your hassles. I've experienced most of them myself. Perseverance,  my friend. 

Check out the MEATER wireless temperature probe for the rotisserie. Love mine. Black Friday weekend sale - 20% off. Code is ROAST20.

Thanks for two great tips @tony b.  The discount code in the UK was only 10% off on a £79 price for the single MEATER so I asked my brother in Texas to order one for me at $55 once the US 20% discount was applied.  Weird transatlantic pricing policy but there you go! I can now wait, with unbated breath, for whatever time it takes for the block to appear.  

Thanks also for your tip about the brewers' cleaner, PBW.  I soaked my Argentinian grill racks in it on Friday and, with a bit of elbow grease, they came up looking like new.  I can't find your clapping emoticon but imagine I did find it and it is right ....here.

On 11/25/2017 at 5:15 AM, ColoradoRick said:

The problem all along was that there was no beer in the equation. :)

Seriously.. it took a full open on the vents and a full turn on the cap, stuck.. I pulled the bung for the auto temp addition thingy.. that seemed to stoke it.. so brought the system up to 350 and replaced it and now holding solid. YEA! 

11-24-17 roti turkey.jpeg

Always remember the temperature is airflow.. if you got stuck at 350 , I'm confident that you either did not shake out your ash from the previous cook before you started or you poured your charcoal directly from the bag into the charcoal basket.

The problem with this is all of the smalls trickle down between the larger pieces restricting your airflow.  Best to pour your charcoal into a box, give it a few shakes.. use the medium pieces for your low and slow cooking, your largest pieces for your high temperature searing and all the small crap at the bottom only pour around the very outside next to the cement in the Charcoal basket this way it does not impede your airflow. 

12 hours ago, DennisLinkletter said:

Always remember the temperature is airflow.. if you got stuck at 350 , I'm confident that you either did not shake out your ash from the previous cook before you started or you poured your charcoal directly from the bag into the charcoal basket.

The problem with this is all of the smalls trickle down between the larger pieces restricting your airflow.  Best to pour your charcoal into a box, give it a few shakes.. use the medium pieces for your low and slow cooking, your largest pieces for your high temperature searing and all the small crap at the bottom only pour around the very outside next to the cement in the Charcoal basket this way it does not impede your airflow. 

Hi Dennis, thanks for responding, to clarify, this was really not the units fault as far as I am concerned and was just sort of strange sequence of events. I had tested this setup a few times over the previous days and was confident all was ready. I used fresh large Char pieces in a freshly cleaned KK, so no residual.

Recap - I started having issues when I was trying to place the turkey laden roti into the unit. Timing being what it is, a beautiful and calm day suddenly had 20-30 knot winds as I started placement. On a pre-soaked ~1.5hr KK @ 350 I opened her up and tried to place the bird in. I was having issues as the unit wouldn't seat. It pulled from the left insert as I adjusted the Roti with the turkey in it into position. My issue from left/right was the spring side (left) staying seated, then once it was, the (right) or gear side wouldn't catch the gear for the drive. Back and forth I went. Mean while, the heat and the flames were kicking up (Open lid and swirling wind caused) I was struggling to center into the slots without getting burned. Got er' done. Frustrated I closed her up and suddenly the gearside started to unscrew itself, I had this fixed from the previous two uses. Go figure... got that fixed after about 15 min... doing all of this my temp had dropped down to about 250, and didn't want to come back up. After some fussing, vents open and the top open, I finally pulled the bung plug in desperation and wha-lah, it came right up. Dennis, it was strange but as you can see the bird was fine.  

In retrospect I think if the little gear pieces were just slightly longer it possibly might be easier to seat more securely in a situation such as this, maybe preventing the left/right issue that I seemed to get wrapped around the axel so to speak.

Going to try a smaller turkey soon to see what happens.

All the best.

Rick

On 11/25/2017 at 12:03 PM, tekobo said:

It was good to see the meater block in the vid.  Still holding off ordering but seems more real.  Wonder what @ckreef thinks :-)

To be honest I have totally given up hope and had basically forgotten about it until coming back on the forum and reading this. 

I won't hold my breath. 

• Like 1