tekobo

Purple Crack?

I am on the hunt for the legendary purple crack.  Having realised it isn't really called purple crack and that, hopefully, my search permissions won't be taken off me for having searched for crack on google I am looking for a source of this spice.  Can someone in the know confirm that we are talking about Tasmannia lanceolata?  These guys appear to export the stuff from Tasmania in good, catering size packs http://www.tasmanianmountainpepper.com.  

Edited by tekobo
  • Like 1

I am on the hunt for the legendary purple crack.  Having realised it isn't really called purple crack and that, hopefully, my security clearance won't be taken off me for having searched for crack on google I am looking for a source of this spice.  Can someone in the know confirm that we are talking about Tasmannia lanceolata?  These guys appear to export the stuff from Tasmania in good, catering size packs http://www.tasmanianmountainpepper.com.  
Tony coined the name purple Crack lol I supplied him and ckreef and myself from here . http://www.pepperberry.net.au/Whole-Fresh-Pepper-Berries---1Kg.php

Outback kamado Bar and Grill

5 hours ago, tekobo said:

Thanks, @Aussie Ora.  Sounds like you are an enabler :-P

Goddamn the Pusher man! (old Steppenwolf song!)

I gave it the name as it does stain most things purple and it's highly addictive! I keep a grinder by my stove and have a shaker mixed up with flaked salt. It goes on just about everything, including eggs!

5a1db07e50af7_PurpleCrackBirdsNests006.thumb.jpg.1e7447786cb9eae92625d94f2f57df08.jpg

• Like 1

That's funny,...I recently looked up Purple crack because of Aussies posts and found a kid out California smoking some purple crack in a bong. Supposedly it's a pleasant smoking pot, he was enjoying the experience. However, I am interested in the spice Purple crack also, and hope to find it on one of my journeys. Do you think Whole Foods may have it? 

18 hours ago, Tyrus said:

That's funny,...I recently looked up Purple crack because of Aussies posts and found a kid out California smoking some purple crack in a bong. Supposedly it's a pleasant smoking pot, he was enjoying the experience. However, I am interested in the spice Purple crack also, and hope to find it on one of my journeys. Do you think Whole Foods may have it? 

Whole foods will not have the pepperberries.  I ordered mine from the same company that Aussie Ora uses http://www.pepperberry.net.au/Whole-Dried-Pepper-Berries---1Kg.php.  I ordered a kilo of the dried pepperberries and the shipped price to Virginia was $116 us.  They have other sizes available as well when they are in stock.  I did find one place in the states that listed them but they are showing out of stock right now, https://kalustyans.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=13015&search=pepper+berries 

They are worth the price.  Like Tony B said, I put them on everything.  A whole kilo will last a long time!

Edited by Keith B
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Keith B said:

Whole foods will not have the pepperberries.  I ordered mine from the same company that Aussie Ora uses http://www.pepperberry.net.au/Whole-Dried-Pepper-Berries---1Kg.php.  I ordered a kilo of the dried pepperberries and the shipped price to Virginia was $116 us.  They have other sizes available as well when they are in stock.  I did find one place in the states that listed them but they are showing out of stock right now, https://kalustyans.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=13015&search=pepper+berries 

They are worth the price.  Like Tony B said, I put them on everything.  A whole kilo will last a long time!

Thank you, that I will try. Made the inquiry but, unsure as to quanity for personal use. A kilo is 2.2 lbs, that's alota pepper.

1 hour ago, Tyrus said:

Thank you, that I will try. Made the inquiry but, unsure as to quanity for personal use. A kilo is 2.2 lbs, that's alota pepper.

It is a lot but what I did was separate it into two ounce and five ounce portions and vacuum packed them.  Hopefully they will stay fresh long enough for me to use them.  You can also get with some friends and split the cost and the berries.  I have given some of the two ounce packages to family members (my son has already asked for more).  I have used them to make pepper vodka which we use in bloody mary's and I know Tony B has used them to make pepperberry beer.  All kinds of uses for them and they are that good!  Combined with a pepper grinder they would make a great gift as well.

Edited by Keith B

2 hours ago, 5698k said:

Yeah, it’s expensive. Is it that good?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I wouldn't pay $250/lb for it - that's more than Kobe beef for crying out loud. That said, I have had a lot of fun trying it and doing different things with it, like putting it in my beer. Try an ounce or two at their price and see if it's something that trips your trigger, then decide if it's worth it to pay the big $$ for quantity. Remember, harvest in Australia is in March, so the next crop isn't that far off, if you try it and like it, then order directly from them at 25% of the imported cost. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Keith B said:

It is a lot but what I did was separate it into two ounce and five ounce portions and vacuum packed them.  Hopefully they will stay fresh long enough for me to use them.  You can also get with some friends and split the cost and the berries.  I have given some of the two ounce packages to family members (my son has already asked for more).  I have used them to make pepper vodka which we use in bloody mary's and I know Tony B has used them to make pepperberry beer.  All kinds of uses for them and they are that good!  Combined with a pepper grinder they would make a great gift as well.

I am a big Bloody Mary fan, and I am always looking for an edge to cut to the chase of a good presentable DRINK.  Toney puts it in beer! Yum! Beer is food, never discount that. I'm just lookin for something different and you made a great presentation as to how it works.  It may be a few dollars more  expensive than regular as peppercorns are but, I think it certainly is worth the try