Smokydave

Turkey Day!

We took a family vote and it was decided to brine and smoke the turkey this year.  I made an executive decision to dry brine instead of wet and based on the results, I won't be going back to soaking a bird again.  I think the combination of a fresh turkey and the brine made it the moistest and most flavorful turkey we've had in a very long time.  I only brined for one day, but understand I could have gone for 2-3, so I will try that next time.  I was concerned about the meat being too salty, but that wasn't an issue and even the drippings made for a great gravy. Since I made my own gravy with bird parts earlier in the week, I was careful not to add salt and am glad I did, since the dripping were certainly saltier than they would normally be, without the brine.  Combined, the gravy was good enough.

Four hours and three chunks of maple and this was the result.  The turkey was dark--not overdone, but I had a scare when I realized the grill probe was closer to the grates and the top of the 23lb turkey was much higher in the dome so it was cooking at better than 325 for a good bit.  Caught it just in time and covered with foil for the remainder of the cook.

IMG_1689.thumb.jpg.bf663be8b7f85a15cf2e503481edd5b1.jpg

IMG_1690.thumb.jpg.b1f6c20897c8c8b1383fa517a4169e63.jpg

• Like 2

Nice turkey Dave! I citrus brined mine recently, it may be something you would think of next, it gives a slight citrusy taste to the meat, nothing offensive but, pleasant.  They always do well in the KK, it's like set it and forget it, and everyone loves you for makin such a nice bird.  But the love is fleeting, it wears off...until your cooking up something in the KK again and magic, your back in the saddle again