MacKenzie

This Is Not How I Planned Dinner

I thought I'd make a sous vide pork steak dinner and finish it on the KK, looking forward to a great sear, etc.

The day slipped by and I didn't start the bread until about 6:00PM and by now it is pitch dark outside. The pork steak has been in the sous vide bath since about 2:30 PM at 138F. Well by the time the bread was baked I wasn't going to start the KK for a sear so ...

5a1f67fb81cf3_SourDoughBread.thumb.jpg.114b765227cecc012b1dda2bc8fedbaf.jpg

Crumb.thumb.jpg.4455293f0dcc4680495e7a0a75158b56.jpg

Add a little cultured butter for more tang. ;)

5a1f717cb04c2_BreadandButter.thumb.jpg.2334c424788ef0a434f0e1d02da74e78.jpg

5a1f68a286220_PorkSerloinDinner.thumb.jpg.4e352a92bb2bd8a3f4b095eea71cf86e.jpg

5a1f68b81d881_InteriorOfPork.thumb.jpg.c086892b8cc7c374ef87fdd8473271b8.jpg

Edited by MacKenzie
  • Like 5

@Tyrus - lots of good intell on the web about SV cooks (Moderist Cuisine, Serious Eats). MacKenzie and I have experimented on several cooks - see posts in the Sous Vide section of the Forum. Only thing that I've struggled with was mashed potatoes - I found that it takes longer and a bit higher temperature than the standard literature says. MacKenzie experimented with some malted enzyme. It made the potatoes very creamy, but I didn't like the flavor it imparted to the spuds. We also tried to optimize a "hot & fast" method for poaching eggs, as the preferred "low & slow" method takes 45+ minutes. MacKenzie got it down, but I bailed because it was taking 3 steps to get the whites set without setting the yolks - sous vide, then ice bath, followed by boiling water bath. I just plan ahead now for the longer cooking time. 

3 hours ago, tony b said:

@Tyrus - lots of good intell on the web about SV cooks (Moderist Cuisine, Serious Eats). MacKenzie and I have experimented on several cooks - see posts in the Sous Vide section of the Forum. Only thing that I've struggled with was mashed potatoes - I found that it takes longer and a bit higher temperature than the standard literature says. MacKenzie experimented with some malted enzyme. It made the potatoes very creamy, but I didn't like the flavor it imparted to the spuds. We also tried to optimize a "hot & fast" method for poaching eggs, as the preferred "low & slow" method takes 45+ minutes. MacKenzie got it down, but I bailed because it was taking 3 steps to get the whites set without setting the yolks - sous vide, then ice bath, followed by boiling water bath. I just plan ahead now for the longer cooking time. 

Thanks Toney, I will try. Recently purchased a book called, " The Essential Sous Vide Cookbook." It gives all the starting points for time and temp for a variety of meats, veggies and more. Chicken wings were my latest experiment, sous vide in sauce { whatever you prefer } then off to the grill for a little crisp and color. Taste is fine because it penetrates, you can always kick it up a notch at this point. And by the way, I purchased the purple crack from Australia for $133 at the 2.2 lb level including shipping. Now I won't be keeping it all for myself, it is Christmas, and I thought it may be welcome to some in the family as gifts [ those that are obsessed backyard chefs } so, I am now standing by the mailbox to ensure no package thief get it.