Eddie mac

Lump charcoal

54 minutes ago, 5698k said:

Just tried Rockwood, it’s a keeper. The website offers free shipping on three 20lb bags.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I agree one hundred percent. I've been doing the same - three twenty pound bags on Amazon with free shipping. A tiny bit less than ninety bucks. About 1.50 per pound. I'll never buy Fogo again because the super premium pieces are entirely too large and won't burn well in the basket without smashing them up. The Rockwood is packed well and always comes in good shape. I find it's smoke to be relatively neutral. 

3 hours ago, 5698k said:

Just tried Rockwood, it’s a keeper. The website offers free shipping on three 20lb bags.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I just did the 3 bags with free shipping deal myself. I agree. This will be my new go to once I run out of Dennis’ coffee char. 

26 minutes ago, Pequod said:

This will be my new go to once I run out of Dennis’ coffee char. 

Hoard that stuff! You can't get more right now. 

Fortunately, I can get Rockwood locally at a BBQ Grill store. I like it a lot better than Fogo. I think that I mentioned before that I'm trying the Blues Hog charcoal right now, same store sells it. I'm liking it, too. 

https://www.amazon.com/Blues-Hog-Premium-Hardwood-Charcoal/dp/B01N1YQMAN

Anybody tried the KJ lump? Good price point for 20 lbs and Prime shipping.

https://www.amazon.com/Kamado-Joe-KJ-CHAR-Lump-Charcoal/dp/B004JMZDB6

Or this one, which I've never seen before?  Naked Whiz likes it.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01D5DDT0G

Gonna hit the BUY button on Amazon for both and see how they cook. 

• Like 1

I’ve used the previous KJ lump and it was good stuff similar to Rockwood. Haven’t tried the new “giant block” stuff. Not sure I understand the trend toward massive chunks. Followed to its logical conclusion, all I should need is a single lump the size and shape of my basket with a wick on top like a candle. :smt017

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I've tried 2 bags of Rockwood. It's marginally better than RO (what I've used for years). Unfortunately the last bag of Rockwood I tried (a month ago) had no better size distribution than an average bag of RO. I was a bit disappointed. 

I too don't understand the "Super Premium", "Big Block" craze. Really large pieces don't burn right. High heat they give you cold spots, low-n-slow the fire has issues jumping from one piece to another. I want MD and SM pieces.

Lately I've tried Fogo Premium Lump black bag (not "Super Premium"). It's harder than RO and Rockwood and has good size distribution. It does spark a little when lighting with a MAPP torch but after lightning it settles down. Also only has a mild smoke flavor which is what I want in a lump. If I want more smoke flavor I'll add some wood chunks. 

Be careful with Naked Wiz reviews. A lot of them are years old. Lump manufacturers get new sources of raw wood all the time. If it's an old review I wouldn't give it much credit. 

• Like 1

My issue with RO is that I don’t like the smell...I really don’t like it. The premium fogo is good, I could live with it. I simply find the rockwood to be more consistent throughout the bag, plus it seems to be more neutral in the smell category.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Guess I’m super lucky to live right near Lazarri Fuel company. The lump oak is less than 50 cents a pound on 20 pound bags and about 35 cents on 40 pounders. The sizes can vary and I lose about 1/4 bag to small pieces and dust but at that cost it’s not an issue.
Their mesquite is awesome but I only use it sparingly as the smoke is too strong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1