Jon B.

First Pizza Cook - Good & Bad

I believe this is the perfect section for this post.....................................

This weekend I cooked my first pizzas on the KK with the new grill shaped baking stone.  Our Wegman’s grocery store makes fresh pizza dough, so I thought I would try that first.  We made basic pepperoni pies.  Used the parchment paper like I have seen others do on this forum.  I did treat & season my new pizza stone to fill-in some low spots but left the parchment paper on during the pizza cook just to make sure it didn't stick. 

Wasn’t sure what temp to cook at, so I followed the oven temp directions on the dough package........400F/204C.   Preheated everything and tossed the first pie on.  Followed the time directions also and checked at the end of the suggested cooking time.  I was amazed….the crust was golden brown and all the topping were nicely melted and bubbling.   

I ran the first pizza up the stairs and threw the second pie on the KK.  When I got back upstairs the crew had dug in, so I didn’t get a picture of the pizza. 

No problem….I’ll snap a photo of the second one.

After the same allotted time, I pulled the 2nd pizza off the KK with the same great results.  Slid the pizza, still on the parchment paper, off the grill onto my fancy new wood pizza peel, spun around to set it down on a bench for the picture ……holy crap….that parchment papers works great………………the pizza took off flying into the air and landed face down on the garage floor!!!!!!  It had leaves, sticks, dirt and dust embedded in the cheese.   Rats and double rats!!!!!!!! 

Probably should have taken a photo of the perfectly done crust, staring up at me from the floor but I ran upstairs and made sure I got another piece of the first pizza before it was gone. :-D.  Told the crew the second pizza was burnt and was no good….Ha!  They thought I was sandbagging them, so I could keep the pizza for myself!!!!

I was forced to admit my butterfingers moment and had to show them the “dirty pizza”.  Needless to say….I was the butt of the jokes all night long. 

Do have to say it was fun despite the mishap.  Looking forward to the next pizza cook!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Only happened once, but it was epic! Sort of like poor Jon's slip & slide adventure with the whole pie! The crust stuck and I jammed real hard with the peel, only to watch the cheese and topping slide half-way off the pizza onto the peel. Fortunately, I was able to get the crust off on the next jab and reconstruct the pizza back in the kitchen. Not the prettiest pie ever made, but at least I got to eat mine, unlike Jon! 

• Like 1