Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
MacKenzie

Smoking Cheese

It was below freezing today so time to smoke some cheese using the cold smoker. Used whiskey smoking wood for 4 or so hours on some aged cheddar and aged Gouda.

5a2620200a183_ReadytoSmokeCheese.thumb.jpg.448540ac1cbb6754563c79f2e033b405.jpg

Smoked.

5a2620b81aed5_SmokingCheese.thumb.jpg.e18521393ded192f48e79e4cf3c5efc1.jpg

5a2620aba309b_SmokedCheddarandGouda.thumb.jpg.e6575c99f3b7bae300c67c89dbf43830.jpg

• Like 3

Hello Mac, that’s a lot of cheese do you vacuum seal it and freeze it? I haven’t tried my cold smoker yet but cheese looks like a good way to start. 

• Like 1

Yes, Bruce all packaged up and just mellowing out in the fridge for several weeks or months, some will go for gifts. :) 

I make big batches of smoked cheese too. I find that it takes a fair while - at least a month to mellow a bit so it’s pleasurable. I’ve got some cheddar in the fridge that I smoked last January and it’s tasting amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I’ve got some cheddar in the fridge that I smoked last January and it’s tasting amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I totally agree, I really must age. I bet that batch you have in the fridge now tastes wonderful.

Doesn’t the cheese get moldy or go bad? 

No it doesn't, Bruce. It is vacuumed sealed and that keeps your fingers off it, no problem.Remember smoking is a method of food preservation so the vacuumed sealed cheese will keep for a long time.

• Like 1