sfdrew28

Worried about fire danger.

I live on a hill in California. I’ve only used briquettes before getting my kk. I’ve noticed with my Lazzari lump charcoal sparks and embers come flying out of the grill when there’s a bit of wind.

Any ideas or techniques that’ll cut down on what I see as a fire danger?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use lump (Royal Oak / Rockwood) to get the fire going with Dennis' extruded charcoal as the main fuel source.

Unfortunately I only have a little bit of what Dennis sells. He can’t get anymore for now.

On the plus side, I live 15 min from the Lazzari company site. It’s from 1908 and it looks like it. I just picked up 100 pounds for 45 bucks. 1/2 the price in a store ten minutes away.

I live on a hill in California. I’ve only used briquettes before getting my kk. I’ve noticed with my Lazzari lump charcoal sparks and embers come flying out of the grill when there’s a bit of wind.
Any ideas or techniques that’ll cut down on what I see as a fire danger?

You will find if you light lump leftover from a previous burn you seldom get a lot of sparks do if you light that and shut the lid that should keep sparks inside the KK.
  • Like 1

If you use a benzomatic torch as I do your bound to experience a lot of spark but, an alternative might be to use fire starters { compressed fibers with additives to help it ignite } buried in the coals. Light and close the lid, open the vent and air and it will go on it's own without worry. The fire is self contained in your KK. Don't worry about the starters and food because by the time you begin to cook the coals have consumed all the pieces.

• Like 1