Tyrus

Just arrived from Tasmania, AU

I've had the Irish Jacks on guard duty for what seems like 10 days, an eternity, they've been watching the mail box and it's cost me dearly, in reward cookies. The peppercorns have arrived, purple crack as I've been told, and in opening the package I was surprised by the sweet floral aroma of these corns. The package was 2.2 lbs, what seemed to be a massive amount for personal consumption as pepper goes but, I will separate them into smaller gifts and hope to spread alittle of the downunder... all over for a little Xmas cheer.  Had to put the Fosters Lager { a favorite of mine } in to show the world isn't really all that big. Merry Xmas

DSCF1996.JPG

DSCF1994.JPG

DSCF1997.JPG

• Like 3

I can tell you...purple crack is not floral at all when you eat it!  My stock arrived on Saturday and I tried it out straight away on a fried egg.  Unfortunately, I hadn't tightened the grinder and ended up with large flecks of the stuff in my egg.  A cross between a chilli and a clove I think and, as my father-in-law said as he picked bits out of his teeth afterwards, "if you are going to leave that on the table you'd better warn your guests!"

Having sorted out the grind, I am now trying to decide if I like it or not.  Tried it in chicken gravy tonight and it imparted an interesting note.  Not sure.... Will be good to hear what @Tyrus thinks.  I had already ordered mine from another supplier and it may be that the @Aussie Ora's supply is different or superior.  Or it may be that clovey chilli is an acquired taste!

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Aussie Ora said:

Awesome you have to have the madarory bite on one ,I think your the only bloke that drinks fosters lol

Outback kamado Bar and Grill

Hope the Fosters is a good thing because I've been partaking in the brew for eons, just to help the AU economy along of course. The bite as you say, well maybe that's a trap.....no problem, tomorrow friend.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, tekobo said:

I can tell you...purple crack is not floral at all when you eat it!  My stock arrived on Saturday and I tried it out straight away on a fried egg.  Unfortunately, I hadn't tightened the grinder and ended up with large flecks of the stuff in my egg.  A cross between a chilli and a clove I think and, as my father-in-law said as he picked bits out of his teeth afterwards, "if you are going to leave that on the table you'd better warn your guests!"

Having sorted out the grind, I am now trying to decide if I like it or not.  Tried it in chicken gravy tonight and it imparted an interesting note.  Not sure.... Will be good to hear what @Tyrus thinks.  I had already ordered mine from another supplier and it may be that the @Aussie Ora's supply is different or superior.  Or it may be that clovey chilli is an acquired taste!

You know the box is still fresh and I haven't tried the bite, just yet. Know as I understand that your grain is a little course, try smoothing it out in a grinder, such as.. a coffee grinder to make a powder. I noticed Aussie using it on beef, that's more forgiving. Anyhow my experience hasn't yet begun, I do wish you the best and am sure you'll find an area to use it. Acquired taste, maybe. I've never been to AU so it's hard to say

You guys are getting it - it's a cross between a clove-like numbness and chile pepper heat, with some other nice side notes tossed in. I think it's similar to Szechuan peppercorns. I've been using this stuff in a lot of things since I got my bag earlier this year from Aussie. I have a flaked salt mix with 2 parts purple crack to 1 part salt that I shake on as I'm cooking. I also have a grinder with the straight stuff right by the stove as well and use it interchangeably with black pepper. Part of the reason that I named it Purple Crack, as I've found it quite addictive. 

Here's some pics of ribs, chicken and eggs done with the purple crack. All pics are uncooked so you can see how they stain food purple.

003.thumb.JPG.dc05b5529e6f0462444c69f987c4c677.JPG

5a305f761caab_PurpleCrackCluck2.thumb.jpg.7d95ac92e810970bf8c19699e7dff0a6.jpg

5a305f9fa898d_PurpleCrackBirdsNests002.thumb.jpg.fb5602ec8f171b43ed60ea0527d61f06.jpg

• Like 3

I think there are a number of possibilities in combing spices to make this peppercorn a workable spice. Used lightly or in a blend as you did, make it practical or at least I hope so. Since I haven't tried to work with this yet, I'm not ready to toss in the towel or offer opinion. I hope this discussion as you requested of me earlier can grow beyond the first impression.

Experiment - mix it with other spices, try it straight, use it in different applications. This was no different for me than other new ingredients that I've learn to use and fall in love with - another good example: gochujang - the perfect marriage of umami and heat. I put it up there, right next to Sriracha. Moroccan flavors - berbere spices, oil cured olives, and preserved lemons. Which suddenly gives me an idea - preserved lemons with purple crack! 

People - forget all that nonsense that your Mothers implanted in your brains - Play With Your Food!

• Like 2

Tyrus if you bite one corn you will experience the heat that way you will be able to decide on how much to use .for me less is more I use it instead of ceyanne. Because you got the fresh freeze dried it will I'm part that purple colour grind a bit in a bowl and add a bit of water you will see what I mean .like most things it's an aquired taste just start out small it's not like normal pepper

Outback kamado Bar and Grill

• Like 1

Thanks. I just pulled the trigger,.....WOW your absolutely right, it's gotta be tamed some how. Definitely a science project in the works, don't want to put that on my corn flakes. I think I bought the air dried because it came in a resalable plastic bag and had some trash in it or better put, { little stems and such }. It had too easy of a crunch between my teeth, it broke apart quite easily so placing them in a peppermill is suspect, {at least for me }. The purle look was there when I spit it out or was that my tongue, not sure. I do believe there are possibilities, I may have to reach a little further than I normally do with things but, it will work. Those presents for Xmas Mac are still going out, except they'll have a warning label attached. For you Aussie, well,if I were inclined to go into a bar with a small bag of these and place a few bets I may walk out with a few bucks in my pocket or a little less hair on my head. Only in Australia.   Good luck Tekobo and thanks for the direction... Toney     Santa could run his sleigh on a few of these

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Tyrus said:

The purle look was there when I spit it out or was that my tongue, not sure. 

That made me laugh a lot!  I did try some on my egg this morning and, moderated by bacon, rocket and a nice baguette, the flavour came through nicely and wasn't harsh.  I would use szechuan peppers sparingly and will do the same with these and see how I go.  I think the purple crack experiment is going to be fun.  And even more fun will be hearing from other KK owners as when they bite into their first one. :-D

• Like 2

You know I have my own experiment going on now. I crushed {fine} 5 peppercorns and added it to a Pork Rub I have called Fat Bastard which is a brown sugar base. I'm thinking the peppercorns will add some sweet heat to the ribs. I have another rub on the opposite from Killer Hogs that's also sweet. I could have added to this mix, maybe next time. I'm glad the door is still open, best of luck   And Bruce if you really want to try some send me your address via the communication venue here on KK and I will accommodate. No need to buy, just in case it's not for you

• Like 1