sfdrew28

Cold smoker question

I’m doing my first smoke on this grill with the smoker attachment. I can’t tell if smoke is going into the grill. Everything seems fine and there is air pumping in to the tube, but there is a lot of smoke going out one of the side holes in the smoker tube. Is that normal?f6e0974b2701d7359c9aca373e43fa1c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Open the lid on the KK and see what kind of smoke you're seeing inside. If it's not much, the tube into the KK could be a bit plugged, forcing smoke out the side holes. You will see some smoke leak out, but it shouldn't be a lot.

Thx. It seemed to be working but not as well as I would have thought. I’m using apple chips and they went out before all being used. I used a maap torch to light them so I’m not sure how to keep them lit.

To be quite honest, I've struggled with keeping the chips lit in mine, too! Dennis suggested lighting a medium sized chunk of lump and putting it in the middle of the stack of chips. It works OK, but I still have had times when it goes out later in a longer smoking session. I've started mixing the wood chips with the pellets that they use in the pellet smokers. It seems to work a bit better, so give that a try. 

• Like 1

There are times I struggle as well especially if there is no fire in the KK. It seems to me that when I smoke things like bacon and there is a fire in the KK and the temp is around 225F the cold smoker works very well but I haven't done it that many times to say for sure that is always will work.

• Like 1

I changed out the tubing with some new stuff and dropped a small piece of coal in with the chips. Seems to be witching much better today.
I actually had to put blocks in front of the cold smoker today because the wind is so strong and it’s flaming the chips too fast.