Eddie mac

Wood chunk size

I get almost all of my smoking woods from Fruita Woods. I get their regular chunks for the smoker pot. I use their chips in the cold smoker and I've done the larger splits of red oak for doing Santa Maria style tri-tip roasts directly on the fire. Their stuff is top shelf!

https://www.fruitawoodchunks.com/shop?olsFocus=false&olsPage=products

4 minutes ago, Aussie Ora said:

I've given up on my dutch oven smoker had it going great about three times the rest it billowed out smoke just does not want to seal for me grr thinking about a screw down system

Outback kamado Bar and Grill

I don’t care for it either I am cooking 2 briskets in am using the cold smoke see how that does. The smoke pot runs out of smoke for big hunks of meat it’s ok for lighter meats chicken pork loin and fish.

• Like 1

I don’t care for it either I am cooking 2 briskets in am using the cold smoke see how that does. The smoke pot runs out of smoke for big hunks of meat it’s ok for lighter meats chicken pork loin and fish.
I've just been spacing wood between the charcoal seriously thinking of getting the cold smoker .but some posts have turned me off .I just want plug and play no mucking around .I know sounds slack but that's me lol

Outback kamado Bar and Grill

• Like 1

I’ve used smoker boxes and foil pouches, I suppose similar to the pot just smaller, but never noticed a significant difference.  Might be a bit less smoke flavor, but wasn’t worth the fuss considering I typically prefer more smoke.  That can be controlled by how much wood is used.  As Aussie said, for longer smokes, I mix the smoke wood throughout the charcoal basket.  Light it in one spot, bring it up to temp, and put a few more chunks on top of the lit spot.  As the fire burns down, it catches new pieces of wood and keeps going.  I’ve kept mine smoking for 20 hours straight, and still had smoke wood left over for my next cook.  Curious to see how the brisket comes out using the CS compared to without.  Haven’t used mine yet to cook.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, DJM said:

I’ve used smoker boxes and foil pouches, I suppose similar to the pot just smaller, but never noticed a significant difference.  Might be a bit less smoke flavor, but wasn’t worth the fuss considering I typically prefer more smoke.  That can be controlled by how much wood is used.  As Aussie said, for longer smokes, I mix the smoke wood throughout the charcoal basket.  Light it in one spot, bring it up to temp, and put a few more chunks on top of the lit spot.  As the fire burns down, it catches new pieces of wood and keeps going.  I’ve kept mine smoking for 20 hours straight, and still had smoke wood left over for my next cook.  Curious to see how the brisket comes out using the CS compared to without.  Haven’t used mine yet to cook.

I am not a big fan of brisket on the Komodo but I only had to cook 2  today so I figure I’ll try the cold smoke. Cold smoker is running good but need to fill quite often. Bought this for cold smoking cheese pepperoni sausage and fish.

First off, you all know that the meat pretty much stops absorbing smoke when the surface dries out, right? So, you don't need smoke for the entire cook; only for the first few hours until the bark sets. IF you want lots of smoke flavor, then you need to mist the surface of the meat periodically to keep it moist. But, be careful not to over spray it and wash off that lovely bark you've just spent hours trying to build up. 

@Eddie mac - 'splain that one to me, boss? What about the KK don't you like when doing briskets? What do you normally cook them on?

• Like 2

Bubba grill 500r reverse flow smoker get better bark better smoke flavor pushed in to the meat . Especially when doing big cuts of beef brisket beef clod and beef will take smoke until 135 to 145 degrees so on a 20 to 25 lb beef clod or a 15 to 20lb brisket you are talking hours till you reach that temp.