sfdrew28

Pizza question...

I know I saw this in a post earlier where Dennis commented on what to do to balance the crust/top on pizza cooks but I can’t find it. My pizzas came out a bit doughy on the crust and nicely done on top. I cooked the pizzas on my 32 at about 550 with the KK stone. I let the whole grill get to that temp. and cooked then for about six minutes. Any ideas? 7f7387c9211298466a55320ade4dd0b4.jpg1b0a3e455a98ca3d658d8a4807a1b622.jpg

The wife demands Hawaiian while I despise it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you get the stone up to 550F? If you have an IR thermometer you can get the temp of the stone. It sounds to me that maybe the whole grill was not up to temp. It takes a while to heat sink. I put my pizza stone on the upper grate and pizza on top, getting the pizza up high in the dome. 6 mins. is none too long to bake a pizza at that temp. not that I'm suggesting a higher temp, just a little longer. Hope this helps some. :)

Edited by MacKenzie

Did you get the stone up to 550F? If you have an IR thermometer you can get the temp of the stone. It sounds to me that maybe the whole grill was not up to temp. It takes a while to heat sink. I put my pizza stone on the upper grate and pizza on top, getting the pizza up high in the dome. 6 mins. is none too long to bake a pizza at that temp. not that I'm suggesting a higher temp, just a little longer. Hope this helps some.

I don’t have an IR but it was holding 525ish for 1.5 hours so I assume it was heat soaked. I would have let the pizzas go longer but the cheeses and toppings would have over
cooked.

I used all 00 flour so I’m thinking of trying maybe 650 or so next time or going at 550 with a 50/50 blend of 00 and all purpose.

• Like 1

Based on past experience and several failed attempts, there could be a couple things at play.  After the stone is fully heat soaked, I usually find that at 500-550, the pizza needs a good 8-12 minutes to finish.  If the top is cooking too fast and the crust too slow, adjust the vents to turn the heat down.  

For the food science nerds like me, dough recipe also plays a big part in the perfect pizza.  Because it’s ground more finely than normal bread flours, “00” flour tends to absorb more water.  With a higher water content, I’ve found that it usually needs a higher temp (650-700) and shorter bake time.  Some “00” pizzeria flours are formulated to be baked at over 700 degrees.  This type of flour tends to result in tough and chewy dough at lower temps/longer bake times instead of tender and crispy.  Now if your dough recipe contains sugar, it will quickly burn at the higher temps.  

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, sfdrew28 said:

I know I saw this in a post earlier where Dennis commented on what to do to balance the crust/top on pizza cooks but I can’t find it. My pizzas came out a bit doughy on the crust and nicely done on top.

Hi @sfdrew28.  I previously bookmarked a thread where Dennis made comments about the crust on a pizza.  I don't know if it is this one you were referring to.  In any case, thanks for your post, I will be bookmarking this page for when I make my first pizza.  

Hi [mention=3133]sfdrew28[/mention].  I previously bookmarked a thread where Dennis made comments about the crust on a pizza.  I don't know if it is this one you were referring to.  In any case, thanks for your post, I will be bookmarking this page for when I make my first pizza.  

That’s it!!! Thank you and good luck in the pizza. It’s very rewarding and at times crushing of spirit this pizza business. Lol

• Like 1