sfdrew28

Leg of lamb on main or upper grate?

I’m about to cook a 5lb Tandoori leg of lamb for about 1.5 hours at 400f using indirect heat. I’m planning to just use one 1/2 of the charcoal box and the drip pan underneath the lamb. Any suggestions on whether to use the top or main grate is appreciated.

Also, would I want the grill heat soaked before cooking?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm assuming that you've cooked this before at this time/temperature, as it seems very hot and long to me, even if it's a bone-in leg? I'm familiar with tandoori style cooking, but never cooked a whole leg this way. 

I'd use the main grate and not a lot of heat soaking. Put the meat on as soon as it comes up to temp. To fully heat soak a KK to 400f will take a while and burn up a lot of charcoal. Not sure if it would improve your results. 

I'm assuming that you've cooked this before at this time/temperature, as it seems very hot and long to me, even if it's a bone-in leg? I'm familiar with tandoori style cooking, but never cooked a whole leg this way. 
I'd use the main grate and not a lot of heat soaking. Put the meat on as soon as it comes up to temp. To fully heat soak a KK to 400f will take a while and burn up a lot of charcoal. Not sure if it would improve your results. 

Tony I just went with what I thought would be best since I had no replies. I did almost everything opposite of what you said. Lol. I used the upper great in a heat soaked grill.

The timing wasn’t too much as it’s a recipe I’ve used before from project smoke. It came out very good. Thank you for replying.

• Like 1

Tony I just went with what I thought would be best since I had no replies. I did almost everything opposite of what you said. Lol. I used the upper great in a heat soaked grill.

The timing wasn’t too much as it’s a recipe I’ve used before from project smoke. It came out very good. Thank you for replying.

I am glad it turned out for you. I have never cooked lamb.