ckreef

Christmas Shopping in FL

Got tired of waiting for the postman so took off to town. Got home and OMG! You outdid yourself @Jon B.

JohnBa.thumb.jpg.3cfbc5daa229819359794cd8d9259999.jpg

Rotisserie Cornish Hens are on the menu for tomorrow. Will give the salt potatoes a try along with one of the BBQ sauces. Thank you for such an awesome care package. 

For an interesting side story: My dad (God rest his soul) grew up around Rochester NY. My uncle had a cabin near Naples that we visited every summer when I was young. I'm sure if my dad was still with us he would totally appreciate this care package. 

• Like 1

Charles, if you want to do your Dad and Jon both proud, do those Cornish hens like Cornell chicken to go with those salt spuds! It's similar to Alabama White Sauce. 

Ingredients

1 Large Egg

1 Cup Vegetable Oil

2 Cups Cider Vinegar

3 TBL Kosher Salt (Yeah, it’s a lot of salt, but don’t freak on it!)

1 TBL Poultry Seasoning (I prefer Penzey’s, but whatever use a good one - It’s critical!)

½ Tsp Black Pepper

Instructions

Need a blender or food processor (fp) to mix this up, as it is a cross between a very thin mayonnaise and a brine.

First, place the egg in the blender/fp and pulse 2 or 3 times quickly to break up the egg.

With the blender/fp running at medium speed, add the oil in a slow trickle to make an emulsion.

Next, with the blender/fp still running at medium, add the vinegar, slowly to not break the emulsion.

Finally, dump in the salt, poultry seasoning, and black pepper. Run blender/fp until incorporated.

Pour marinade over chicken in a non-reactive pan or in a Ziploc bag and marinate at least 4 hours, preferably overnight. The longer the better – I’ve done it up to 2 days.

Cook chicken over indirect heat, with grill at 350-375F. If you want to use a smoking wood, I’d suggest a mild fruit like peach or apple. Cooking Time will vary with cuts – whole versus quarters, versus individual pieces. You can do direct heat if you use the top grate, as this marinade with cause flare-ups, especially in the next step.

Baste the chicken with the marinade every 15 -20 minutes. Since it was in contact with raw chicken, stop basting at least 15 minutes before you take the chicken off the grill. (Or, mix up a second clean batch of marinade to baste with if you’re paranoid about such things or if you want to dunk the finished chicken in the marinade one final time as you take it off the grill, similar to Big Bob Gibson’s famous white sauce).

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, ckreef said:

For an interesting side story: My dad (God rest his soul) grew up around Rochester NY. My uncle had a cabin near Naples that we visited every summer when I was young. I'm sure if my dad was still with us he would totally appreciate this care package. 

The Uncle Ralph's sauce is from Rochester........your dad is smiling down on your care package!!!!  Welcome and enjoy!!!

Robert -5698k PM me your address also!!! 

• Like 1

While in the middle of typing the above post, the mail delivery person rang my doorbell and handed me this!!
001.thumb.JPG.fef80e1776b518d4ebcf1fa34df6e6fe.JPG
Almost tore up the box digging into it! Good thing Aussie packed it so well! And Dah-ham - that does look like a big bag of weed!!
002.thumb.JPG.60202b2f56a9acb28b82b6dc6a69dc25.JPG
All the unpacked goodies!!
007.thumb.JPG.ee31204c2e015b535d0a9070c0ca38cd.JPG
Good thing this stuff has a long shelf life, as this looks to be a life-time supply!!
008.thumb.JPG.2d085af959d1f22305504c59c854643d.JPG
Will set about shortly to break this down into nickel and dime bags for storage/distribution - LOL! 
A BIG THANK YOU TO AUSSIE FOR THIS REALLY NICE GIFT - THANKS, MATE!!!

Glad it got to you in one piece can you smell it lol

Outback kamado Bar and Grill

Iowa finally stuck its toes in the water this past year, creating a legal grower/distributor program. Our first legal grower got their license last week (only 2 are allowed.) We are allowed up to 5 distribution stores in the entire state. Several are in the licensing process, but none are open. The grower won't have a crop until late Summer at the earliest anyway. It's all medical at this point, the list of medical conditions that qualify is only like 5 illnesses, only CDB oil can be sold and the limit on THC concentration is only 3%, which limits the usefulness in many cases, but it's a start.  
I was referring to the post facility's lol

17 hours ago, Aussie Ora said:

Glad it got to you in one piece can you smell it lol

Got a blast when I opened the box. The whole kitchen smelled like lemon pledge while I was breaking it down into the nickel and dime bags - well, only one dime bag (4oz), all the rest went into nickel bags (2 oz). 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Aussie Ora said:

@ckreef your parcel is in Macon not long now

Sent from my SM-G900K using Tapatalk

Unfortunately mail does not deliver on Monday due to Martin Luther King holiday. Should have it on Tuesday. 

UPS did send me a delivery email for Monday. Not sure what package that is (I'm expecting a few). This should be a fun week. 

• Like 1

KK Rotisserie Cornish Hen, served with honey balsamic, rosemary,  carrots and NY Salt Potatoes. Awesome meal for sure. 

An interesting boiled potato cook. The salt as supplied was super fine ground. Wasn't overly salty. 

RCHb.thumb.jpg.81c8d08fac4a28a0cb433bef795b1a14.jpg

Edited by ckreef
  • Like 4

Unfortunately mail does not deliver on Monday due to Martin Luther King holiday. Should have it on Tuesday. 
UPS did send me a delivery email for Monday. Not sure what package that is (I'm expecting a few). This should be a fun week. 

Fair enough we love our public holidays down here to should be more I rekon

KK Rotisserie Cornish Hen, served with honey balsamic, rosemary,  carrots and NY Salt Potatoes. Awesome meal for sure. 
An interesting boiled potato cook. The salt as supplied was super fine ground. Wasn't overly salty. 

RCHb.thumb.jpg.81c8d08fac4a28a0cb433bef795b1a14.jpg

Nice bark was intrigued by the spuds .https://www.wegmans.com/products/produce/potatoes/potatoes/salt-potatoes.html. are these just normal spuds and then you add salt like the Web site says or are they a different kind of spud or its the recipe .I'm lost and need to know lol because I have always boiled my spuds with salt

3 hours ago, Aussie Ora said:

Nice bark was intrigued by the spuds .https://www.wegmans.com/products/produce/potatoes/potatoes/salt-potatoes.html. are these just normal spuds and then you add salt like the Web site says or are they a different kind of spud or its the recipe .I'm lost and need to know lol because I have always boiled my spuds with salt

There is a history of the Syracuse "Salt Potatoes" and of course there are many versions of the story.  Syracuse was called the Salt City years ago because of the salt mining industry.  The poor immigrant workers would put new/small potatoes into the salt evaporation tubs and cook them for lunch.  They could only afford the small, bitter potatoes.  The salt bath would turn the inexpensive potatoes into really tasty potatoes.....and the legend lives on in this area.  A local company brought them back and made them famous serving them at outdoor clam bakes.  Now all the area grocery stores carry them along with the bag of fine salt included.

You can use small red potatoes or "new" potatoes with the salt and get about the same effect / taste.      

HISTORY OF SALT POTATOES

Edited by Jon B.
Still can't spell...........
  • Like 1

To add to what Jon said:

The bag of salt supplied with the potatoes was about 1 1/3 cups. I used 3 quarts of water, 2/3 cup of salt and a little over 2 lbs of potatoes. Pulled after cooking left a fine film of salt on them. Served as is and fork mashed them on the plate with some butter. 

• Like 1

Very similar to my favorite Cook's Illustrated method for baked potatoes. You make up a strong brine and soak the spuds in that briefly before baking. As the water evaporates during baking, the salt sticks to the skin. And, it helps to make the skin crispier, too. 

https://www.cooksillustrated.com/recipes/8654-best-baked-potatoes?incode=MCSCD00L0&ref=new_search_experience_1

Cool story about the origin, Jon!