tony b

NYE Peking Duck

As promised, a series of pics showing the various steps to the duck cook for tonight.

First, get a duck, duh! Loved the name!

5a4992c6d005d_PekingDuckthawing.thumb.jpg.340aae50d4fc7646d4efdd808f34bf17.jpg

Then, when thawed, blow up yer duck! (Separate the skin from the flesh) This is the fun part!

5a499323a9581_Blowinguptheduck.thumb.jpg.ea0eb345bf6e61447994b640b6efa280.jpg

Then, rub the skin with equal parts Baking Powder and Kosher Salt. Note - NOT Baking Soda, Baking Powder!

5a4993869423b_Prep-BPandSaltrub.thumb.jpg.2fd18233f023af8b47fb245a2fb52efa.jpg

Put into fridge and let skin dry for 24 hours (or at least overnight) It will have a noticeable texture difference.

5a4993d23f3ba_DriedafterBP-Saltrub.thumb.jpg.314b21f18dd404390e74d6f53942f475.jpg

Now, bath time - shower the duck with boiling water, honey, hoisin sauce and Chinese 5 spice powder.

5a499409dbda2_BathTime.thumb.jpg.0008b608b753b51a7e2e5768a394eb9d.jpg

Back to the fridge to dry for another 24 hours (or at least overnight). Then we oil it up (canola with a few drops of sesame oil), then dry rubbed. I used Dizzy Pig Tsunami Spin and Purple Crack.

5a4995608f198_DryRubbed.thumb.jpg.968d3435cee147ef326aae0da054a267.jpg

Into the rotisserie rack.

5a49958b8fa6b_ReadyforKK.thumb.jpg.241675c83fb97a639f6a3f8c0d0a7da8.jpg

Onto the pre-heated KK @ 350F direct with cherry wood chunks (no smoking pot).

5a4995cb64067_JustStartingonKK.thumb.jpg.eb3829aa32d8625f5d416081362de489.jpg

Cooked to an IT in the breast of 160F. Took about 90 minutes. Notice the MEATER probe sticking out the left side of the breast. Worked great.

5a499659df95c_done1.thumb.jpg.f383e595c61953e5ddc5b8a0353604ea.jpg

Resting. Good color and most of the fat did render out. Skin was only slightly crispy. Probably could have used another 15 - 20 minutes? But was concerned about overcooking the meat. 

5a4996a26320b_DoneandResting1.thumb.jpg.d6016990498fadb804ce00e9e87ca797.jpg

Plated, with coconut rice and roasted carrots (orange oil with tarragon and purple crack)

5a499746c9a9f_Plated1.thumb.jpg.2747de7784d232228972411c05198a6e.jpg

The things we do for food! Pulled it off, despite outside temps around zero and wind chills around -15F. But, after 3 days of prep, I wasn't about to wuss out now. 

Happy New Year, Ya'll! :occasion9:

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Great duck cook. It's been a long time since I've cooked duck. Was ready to jump in the Lear Jet and head your way. 

I was loving this post until you mentioned the meater. Wanted to throw my phone to the ground and stomp on it. Yea I'm still bitter about being ripped off. OK, rant over. 

Nice! I’m spinning a Peking Duck tomorrow myself. Planning to try my new Meater for the first time too.

How far away can my phone be with the lid closed and still pick up the Meater signal? Going to be mighty cold here tomorrow and don’t want to leave my phone outside. 

MEATER seems to be working well. My screened in porch above my KK’s gets perfect reception. Put my phone there and monitoring on iPad in comfort indoors.

D945E170-0BEA-4F3F-9E1B-5930D5BBE1CE.thumb.jpeg.f621a8c0c0f5bd8555109e75cc8e59bf.jpeg

Apologies to @ckreef. Understand the frustration. Not trying to rub it in, but think you’ll be pleased if/when you get your MEATER.

Edited by Pequod
  • Like 2

Thanks Everyone! But, most of the credit goes to Wilbur, as he's my Yoda for Peking Duck! :notworthy:

@Pequod -They claim the range is up to 15 ft. My KK is just about 4 ft outside my kitchen door, so I just leave my phone on the end of the counter. One tip from them, if you didn't see it, don't lie your phone down flat - prop it up if you can. You'll get better reception from the bluetooth connection. I posted in another thread about the connection hiccups I got during my Christmas day prime rib cook at my SIL's house. My phone was in direct line of sight with her oven and was only about 5 or 6 ft away. I even moved it around a couple of times and it still kept doing it. Only time that I've ever had it drop the connection that frequently during a cook. I think it did it only once during the duck cook and sync'ed right back up. 

@ckreef - hang in there, Charles. I have faith that you'll get your Block by Springtime. They seem to be doing well making and selling the single probe units and should have enough cashflow now to finish the Block design. 

That looks great, a little technical but I assume it's a once in a while cook. I've got to order the rotisserie from Dennis, draggin my feet on that.  You are a brave man venturing out in this abominable weather....I'm sure it was worth the sacrifice.

Nicely done sir duck master looks great the effort is well worth it. someone was selling one of those probes down here that they got from the kick start real cheap think it was like 30 dollars .but I let it slide oh well .@ckreef- I'd be on to them don't like the way they are handling the situation after they got the coin

Outback kamado Bar and Grill

• Like 1

Believe me (or not), MEATER is not the worst Kickstarter campaign that I've been in - by far! They've been pretty upfront about the delays (which were extensive!!) and they have actually shipped product. I'm in other campaigns that have been far worse about lack of communication/openness. One actually came back after a whole year of no updates and had the gall to ask for more money to help them finish the project (documentary.) Won't bore you with the actual details; I just wanted to put this Kickstarter campaign (MEATER) into perspective with the truly bad ones! Most are very good about updates, candor, etc. In fact, I got a Kickstarter campaign reward in today's mail - unannounced (no advanced notice email with tracking number.) They only missed their delivery target by a month, very good by Kickstarter standards. YMMV

• Like 1

The MEATER customer service seems to be good so far.  They swapped out the defective unit within a couple of weeks.  It arrived yesterday and I used it on a cook last night.  Having had all the connection problems previously, it seemed like a miracle when the unit popped up on Bluetooth with no problems once I had charged it!  I think I will set up a spare iPad with the app so that I don't have to leave my phone directly in range. 

• Like 1