Jman

Grate Comparison 32” v 23” v 24" Big Joe

I’ve read all the useful & good comparisons between the 23inch and 32 inch Komodo. I Am clear   of the differences , arguments for the 32 etc... one thing that been hard is to visualize the differences in grate sizes...And there for the bbq...

Im keen to get the dimensions (width , depth , maybe even a second width measurement one from the rear, one from the front) for each  of the top grill, main grill , lower grill as well as the GRILL SHAPED BAKING STONE. As opposed to the sq inches. this will help me to Make a final choice...Even  the width of the rotisserie basket in the 23” would be useful to compare with the 32”.

hope someone’s already got this and can share as I feel like I need the 32 but in reality the 23 might do me when money is a reasonable factor.

I’m   ready to order without even ever having seen one - an impressive leap and testament to the number of positive reviews.

Hello John.

I had the same dilemma when I ordered a few months ago.  This post by Bosco helped me visualize the difference in grate sizes. It’s only the main grate, but it does give some comparison.   I ultimately ended up selecting the 32 because I grill about as much as Smoking low and slow.  The extra real estate makes it nice to sear direct and then move to indirect to finish.  

I also ordered without ever seeing one in person based on information I collected from this forum.   Rest asssured, when the crate arrives, you won’t be disappointed.   

On 12/12/2015 at 1:53 PM, bosco said:

I must say, that I am just staring at my new KKs and can't believe the build quality.  My wife says its an obsession that is bordering creepy lol.  I must say the one thing that stands out is the grates of the KK.  

i have had several people ask me "How does the 23 and 32 grates compare to the big joe size.  

I did a little research and then did a comparison photo to help you understand the size of both the 23" and 32".

The one really cool feature is that the 23" come with 3 grates and the 32" comes with 4 grates.  

I am very satisfied with getting the 32".  At first I was reluctant as I thought that it was too big, however, Dennis assured me that is was a grillers grill.  It is a lot bigger than the big joe, but it is not crazy in size!!  I will love filling the main grate up with full meals!!

The breakdown is as follows 

24" Big Joe

452 sq" Main grate included on delivery (standard)

271 sq" (60% more grilling) expander rack not included on delivery

723 sq" total grilling space 

23" Ultimate 

329 sq" Lower grate

375 sq" Main grate

274 sq" Upper grate

978 sq" Total grilling space included on delivery  (standard)

post-2504-0-60938500-1449947067_thumb.jp

32" Big Bad

544 sq" Lower grate

576 sq" Main grate

418 sq" Upper grate

288 sq" half grate

1,538 sq" Total grilling space included on delivery  (standard)

post-2504-0-17766800-1449947084_thumb.jp

When I first started looking at KKs in 2012, I seem to remember seeing a comparison between KKs that told you how many chickens you could cook on each KK.  I can't find that now and would have found that practical demonstration a help when it came to visualising the size of each grill.  It would be great if someone else can remember/find the information. 

My gut says go bigger if you are only going to get one KK.  The 32BB sounds very versatile, allowing you to go with half a basket when you want to scale down.  On the other hand if you want to go for two, a whole world of choice and more difficult decisions await!

One huge advantage of having two is that 2 cooks can be done at the same time but at different temps. 

A good many of us have bought without ever seeing one live :). After talking to Dennis all the doubts are put at ease and the fun begins. It is really a wonderful experience. :smt023:smt023

Edited by MacKenzie

I briefly considered the 32. The truth is. While I do grill more often than low and slow, I have a family of 4 and grilling for 4 is pretty easily accommodated on the 23. When it comes to entertaining which I do on a semi regular basis, I pretty much always rely on a low and slow or a roast which is easily accommodated on the 23. I don’t like grilling for a crowd, because I like to interact with my guests and that was my preference before getting any kamado. I tried it once and I realized I missed most of the party!  However if you do like to grill for a crowd the 32 is the way to go for sure. 

15 hours ago, 5698k said:

Does this help at all?

44b2d2ad0169a6830dd2b9909589055c.jpg

665d75bcd66cc0cf61cfa673b5e30e7a.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks. Something like this but with each of the grill dimensions is what I’m after. For example the ability to do pizza is great - I get the feeling the 23” will struggle is more than 1 pizza at a time versus the 32”.

just the grill dimensions will tell the story I think,

I have both and can measure things for you when I get a chance. Might be a day or two, as it’s currently 12 degrees and I’m not Canadian (I.e, I like warmth).

From personal experience, I recommend the 32 over the 23.

1) It’s bigger, but not obnoxiously and impractically so.

2) It’s shape makes it more of a true two zone grill than the 23.

3) The main half grate let’s you take maximum advantage of two-zone without moving grates around for a reverse sear.

Those are the biggest reasons. In addition, the baking stone is large enough for two pizzas at once and I find it to be more responsive on the temp control. 

If I could have only one grill it would be the 32, but the 23 is a close second.

I'm with Pequod on the two zone, it is a definite advantage. I have a 23, and not for a moment regret making that choice, I haven't used all the applications, methods and such with the KK yet because they are endless. With whatever choice you arrive at, that obsession will become larger but on the other side, your wife will like you all the more because of all the tasty treats your making. Good luck